A good cup of hot chocolate can warm you up on a cool day. Here’s where to locate the best hot chocolate in the Champaign-Urbana area
There’s one thing that we know for sure: Hot chocolate is NOT just a treat for the kids. Sure, it’s great to know where the best cocoa is around town for those lazy mornings when the grown-ups need a cup of coffee. But we’re going to let you in on a little secret — it’s perfectly OK to splurge for the hot cocoa yourself. Some days just call for a cup of warm chocolate in order to keep a smile on parents and children alike.
As with all of our food trail posts, we focus on locally owned restaurants around Champaign-Urbana and beyond, so mugs up and enjoy this delicious tour around Champaign-Urbana. (Comments from Chambanamoms Facebook readers.)
Courier Cafe, 111 N. Race St., Urbana: Referred to as the perfect accompaniment to Courier’s delicious breakfast, readers eagerly noted this hot cocoa as a crowd pleaser.
Geschenk Coffee, Cafe, & Gifts, 228 E. Lincoln St., St Joseph: Make sure to pick up a hot cocoa with your baked goods order. Enjoy a flavor shot of cinnamon, caramel, white chocolate, hazelnut, pumpkin, peppermint, raspberry, or toasted marshmallow, just to name a few!
Hopscotch Bakery + Market, 802 W. John St., Champaign: Try its hot cocoa with house-made marshmallows. “The kids love it because the marshmallows are HUGE and so delicious.”
Industrial Donut, 501 Commerce Dr., Savoy: “In addition to their delicious donuts, they have amazing hot chocolate.” Try it with toasted marshmallow or peppermint for a real treat.
Lodgic Everyday Community, 1807 S. Neil St., Champaign: “The almond milk hot chocolate at Lodgic is delicious!” Grab a mug to go at the Clever Moose cafe or sit in the cafe and sip on a cup with friends. No membership is needed to enjoy the cafe or restaurant.
Pandamonium Doughnuts, 1105 Windsor Rd., Champaign: “With house-made chocolate syrup and whipped cream, readers love Pandamonium’s hot and iced mochas … make sure to order without coffee for the kids, but give us grown-ups all the espresso!”
The Original Pancake House, 1909 W. Springfield Ave., Champaign: “Our kids love Original’s hot chocolate because the mugs are so big. The whipped cream on top is the best! I always sneak a few sips of my daughter’s cocoa and hope she doesn’t notice.”
The New Sweet Indulgence, 2149 S. Neil St., Champaign: Offering both white and milk chocolate cocoas, Sweet Indulgence’s cinnamon rolls and scones pair beautifully with its hot beverages.
Yo Yo’s Coffee & Tea, 104 S. Lombard St., Mahomet: Yo Yo’s offers a high-quality chocolate mix with steamed milk in order to please the chocolate-loving crowd. As if that wasn’t enough, Yo Yo’s tops its hot cocoa with whipped cream and chocolate sauce. Enjoy the beautifully landscaped outdoor seating area or bring your laptop to work inside.
Consider another treat: local hot chocolate bombs.
Know of someone that we missed and that should be added to this list? Email us. Warm our hearts and let us know what you love about your favorite establishment’s hot chocolate.
Looking for more food trails around Champaign-Urbana?
- Pizza Trail around Champaign-Urbana (And Beyond)
- Cookie Trail Around Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Eat Sushi in Champaign-Urbana
- Wing Trail: 30 Places to Eat Chicken Wings In Champaign-Urbana
- Soup Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Taco Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- French Fries Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Chocolate Dessert Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Hot Chocolate Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Grilled Cheese Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Salad Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Mac and Cheese Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Slushy Cocktail Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Pie Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Guacamole Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Cinnamon Roll Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Nacho Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Hot Dog Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Pretzel Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Cocktail Trail ‘To Go’ around Champaign-Urbana
- Cheese Curd Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Burger Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Donut Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Barbecue Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Ice Cream Trail around Champaign-Urbana