Cinnamon rolls have become a popular staple of American breakfasts; here’s where you can find the best ones in the Champaign-Urbana area
There’s never too much frosting, so pass the cinnamon rolls over, please. Whether you are looking to bake your rolls at home, or purchase them ready-to-eat, the Champaign-Urbana area offers many amazing options that are sure to please the palate. As always, we focus on locally owned businesses to set you out on your frosted journey around town. The list that puts the frosting on the top (no pun intended) is as follows:
Central Illinois Bakehouse (Available at Urbana’s Market at the Square, Champaign Farmers Market, Pekara Bakery & Bistro, County Market in Campustown, Common Ground Co-op in Urbana) “Cinnamon rolls are amazing. They’re made with croissant dough!” Another reader notes that “they’re super flaky and delicious.”
Dish Passionate, 45 E. University Ave., Champaign: Featuring over-sized (yes … big) cinnamon rolls with homemade icing that are made fresh daily. Bake them when you are ready for that fresh-from-the-oven moment.
Geschenk Coffee Haus, 228 E. Lincoln St., St. Joseph: Pre-order your cinnamon rolls to be picked up on Friday or Saturday. Their rolls can be purchased individually and make a great addition to any meal.
Hen House, Interstate Route 74, Mahomet: One reader enthusiastically says “Hen House in Mahomet has large yummy rolls!”
The Homestead Bakery, 1749B County Road 1900N, Arthur: If made-from-scratch Amish baked cinnamon rolls aren’t your thing, then stop reading. The Homestead Bakery offers caramel iced cinnamon rolls, honey yeast breads, and other delectable sweet breads. As one reader noted, “You have to try The Homestead Bakery’s cinnamon rolls. They are the best.”
Hopscotch Bakery + Market, 802 W. John St., Champaign: “I could go there everyday for their cinnamon rolls, but I probably shouldn’t.” Their pastries are sure to add a decorative flair to your breakfast or brunch table.
Industrial Donut, 501 Commerce Dr., Savoy: Keep an eye on their social media because you never know what day they plan to make a batch. When they do, they usually offer pre-ordering (and sometimes walk-in sales too). Be warned: they are BIG.
Intermezzo Cafe at Krannert Center, 500 S. Goodwin Ave., Urbana: Intermezzo cafe now has “take-and-bake” cinnamon rolls available. Pre-order five rolls for just $12 (as many orders as you wish). These come with a generous allotment of cream cheese frosting. Place your order by 5:00 p.m. for next-day pickup Monday through Friday. The cafe is closed on Saturdays and Sundays. You may pick up and pay for your order at the cafe (if you are campus COVID-compliant), or they will make arrangements for curbside pickup.
L.A. Gourmet Catering 2607 County Road 1000 E., Champaign: As one enthusiastic reader notes, “L.A. Gourmet Catering has the BEST cinnamon rolls in town. Delicious cream cheese frosting and while they are heavy as a brick, they are as soft as can be.”
Lucky Moon Pies and More, 401 E. Oak St., Mahomet: “The cinnamon rolls at Lucky Moon are the best I’ve ever had. Perfectly cooked with a little crisp on the outside and warm and gooey on the inside. The icing is amazing.”
The New Sweet Indulgence, 2149 S. Neil St., Champaign: “The seasonal cinnamon rolls are my absolute favorite. You have to try their red velvet cinnamon rolls!” Featuring traditional rolls, as well as seasonal favorites such as pumpkin with cream cheese frosting, birthday cake with sprinkles, and red velvet cinnamon rolls, the bakery offers rolls that you can bake at home or purchase ready-to-eat.
Pies by Inge, 212 W. Washington St., Monticello: As one reader stated, Pies by Inge’s cinnamon rolls are “my pandemic addiction.” Baked fresh every Friday, patrons may choose between cream cheese or buttercream icing. Pre-orders of 6 rolls and more are appreciated.
Rick’s Bakery, 124 W. Main St., Urbana: Baked fresh daily and made from scratch, Rick’s Bakery offers warm cinnamon rolls, almond bear claws, and other breakfast pastries.
Ye Olde Donut Shoppe, 1401 S. Neil St., Champaign: “Ye Olde Donut Shoppe has an amazing yeast cinnamon roll. It tastes like a cinnamon roll glazed donut.”
Know of someone that we missed? Tell us what makes their rolls list-worthy and email us. The more ooey and gooey, the better.
Looking for more food trails around Champaign-Urbana?
- Where to Find Boba Tea Around Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Area Ice Cream Trail
- Donut Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Pizza Trail around Champaign-Urbana (And Beyond)
- Cookie Trail Around Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Eat Sushi in Champaign-Urbana
- Wing Trail: 30 Places to Eat Chicken Wings In Champaign-Urbana
- Soup Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Taco Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- French Fries Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Chocolate Dessert Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Hot Chocolate Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Grilled Cheese Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Salad Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Mac and Cheese Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Slushy Cocktail Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Pie Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Guacamole Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Cinnamon Roll Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Nacho Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Hot Dog Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Pretzel Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Cocktail Trail ‘To Go’ around Champaign-Urbana
- Cheese Curd Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Burger Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Donut Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Barbecue Trail around Champaign-Urbana