It doesn’t have to be Taco Tuesday to enjoy nachos (for lunch, dinner, happy hour, or maybe all three)
When we looked for some of Champaign-Urbana’s best nachos, our readers sent us on a tantalizing food journey around town. We learned that local businesses offer a variety of fun and unique toppings to make their nachos noteworthy and keep their patrons coming back for more. While Chili’s and Moe’s Southwest Grill were given favorable shoutouts, we focus on locally owned businesses in our food trail posts.
As one reader stated, “We need to think about the things that bring us all together. Right now, that’s nachos.”
Billy Barooz, 2521 Village Green Place, Champaign: Billy’s Nachos feature corn chips, Monterey Jack cheese and jalapeños, tomatoes, green onions and jalapeños. Served with fire roasted salsa and sour cream, seasoned chicken or steak can be added for an additional fee. “Hands down, I gotta say, Billy Barooz.” “Best steak nachos!!!!” “I would sell one of my kids for some nachos from Billy Barooz!”
Burrito King, 408 E. Green St., Champaign: The King Nachos topped with beans, beef or chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, onion, cilantro, jalapeños, sour cream, and guacamole received several mentions from readers when asked their favorite Champaign-Urbana nachos.
Cowboy Monkey, 6 E. Taylor St., Champaign: Featuring a half or full order of nachos, its Cowboy Nachos come complete with tortilla chips, melted quest, salsa, and guacamole. Cilantro lime chicken or steak can be added for an additional fee.
Crane Alley, 115 W. Main St., Urbana: Crane Alley’s chicken nachos come complete with green chili and tequila braised chicken, gouda, jalapeños, tomatoes, and chimichurri. Also enjoy their nachos with Crane Alley’s signature Seitan chili. Update: sadly Crane Alley closed in June 2022.
Fernando’s Food Truck, 612 E. Daniel St., Champaign: A crowd favorite, Fernando’s nachos come standard with lettuce, tomato, jalapenos, cheese sauce, and sour cream. Choose between steak, chicken, beef, chorizo, or al pastor for your nacho craving, and add avocado if you like. “YUMMY!”
Guido’s Bar & Grill, 2 E Main St., Champaign: “Their chicken nachos, there is literally no competition. My husband and I have travelled far and wide and lived in three different states and Guido’s ruined us for nachos. They are divine. We can’t find a stand-in!”
Hickory River, 1706 N. Cunningham Ave., Urbana: Hickory River’s loaded pulled pork nachos are the request of a reader’s family “every single time” they come into town!
Maize Mexican Grill, 60 E. Green St., and 100 N. Chestnut St., Champaign: Offering a half or full size order, Maize’s nachos feature chicken, al pastor, or chorizo with beans, cheese, sour cream, pico de Gallo, and guacamole. Carne asada can be substituted for an additional charge. “Maize’s veggie nachos with their red salsa! Yummy.” “Maize is great!”
One T’s Cornerpocket, 123 S. Mattis Ave., Champaign: One reader states that they “have some of the best bar food around, from their amazing burgers, to their Friday fish fries, to our nachos.”
Pia’s Sports Bar & Grill, 1609 W Springfield Ave., Champaign: One reader suggested that the Ballpark Nachos smothered in cheese sauce and jalapeños were her Champaign-Urbana favorite!
The Pink Pig, 301 W. Lincoln Ave., Ogden: Featuring locally sourced, pulled pork BBQ nachos and a host of other toppings (with your preferred sauce), The Pink Pig’s nachos do not disappoint. “My husband and I easily shared the pulled pork nachos and can’t wait to go back for more.”
Sun Singer, 1115 W. Windsor Rd., Champaign: Sun Singer offers pot roast nachos with slow roasted Angus chuck, lettuce, tomato, Monterey Jack, cheddar, sour cream, and salsa topped generously over tortilla chips. Hat tips were also given to its greek nachos consisting of cucumbers, tomato, onion, olives, feta cheese, herbs and spices, topped over Mediterranean seasoned pita chips. “Sun Singer’s nachos are simply the best, period.” “Pot Roast Nachos from Sun Singer are my favorite!”
Know of someone that we missed? Tell us what makes their nachos list-worthy and email us.
Looking for more food trails around Champaign-Urbana?
- Where to Find Boba Tea Around Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Area Ice Cream Trail
- Donut Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Pizza Trail around Champaign-Urbana (And Beyond)
- Cookie Trail Around Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Eat Sushi in Champaign-Urbana
- Wing Trail: 30 Places to Eat Chicken Wings In Champaign-Urbana
- Soup Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Taco Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- French Fries Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Chocolate Dessert Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Hot Chocolate Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Grilled Cheese Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Salad Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Mac and Cheese Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Slushy Cocktail Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Pie Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Guacamole Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Cinnamon Roll Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Nacho Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Hot Dog Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Pretzel Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Cocktail Trail ‘To Go’ around Champaign-Urbana
- Cheese Curd Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Burger Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Donut Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Barbecue Trail around Champaign-Urbana