Whether served with beer mustard or cheese, Champaign-Urbana offers pretzels sure to please
Champaign-Urbana loves to talk about its pretzels. From presentation to sheer size to dipping sauce variety — honey mustard? beer mustard? or a good ol’ cheese dipping sauce? — we learned that there are a few more stops we need to add to our pretzel tour. Although Auntie Anne’s as well as Sam’s Club, Culver’s, Sonic, and Dairy Queen received honorable mentions, we focus on locally owned businesses in our food trail posts.
Baxters American Grille, 100 Trade Center Dr., Champaign: “The most delicious pretzel that I’ve ever had! And that cheese!!” “The cheese sauce and grainy mustard are great.”
Big Grove Tavern, 1 E. Main St., Champaign: Big Grove Tavern offers its house made pretzel with stone-ground mustard and pilsner-cheese fondue. “Get the big pretzel stick. It’s EVERYTHING”
Blue Dragonfly Catering, 1205 N. Harris Ave., Champaign: “We had these at a festival at Riggs and I can’t stop thinking about them.” Featuring a large, soft pretzel served with a side of the German cheese dip made with Riggs beer (Obatdza).
Burgers & Beer, 109 W. 8th St., Gibson City: “Their giant pretzel is amazinggg.” “It comes in a pizza box and can feed multiple people.”
The Fringe, 849 Stone Bridge Dr., Rantoul: Choose between a 16- or 24-ounce Bavarian pretzel served with beer cheese, whether you’re playing mini-golf there or coming from the nearby sports complex. “They have another pretzel with avocado ranch & jalapeños on it … love that one too!” “So big and oh so yummy!”
Project 47, 101 N. Lombard St., Mahomet: Featuring Bavarian pretzels with southwest queso — “on point.”
Seven Saints, 32 E. Chester St., Champaign: Serving salted Bavarian-style pretzels with jalapeño cheese sauce and spicy brown mustard, an order comes with four pretzels (half orders are available).
Sun Singer Restaurant, 1115 W. Windsor Road, Champaign: Offering soft pretzel sticks with warm, cheesy onion dip. “I LOVE the soft pretzel sticks at Sun Singer! That cheese sauce was a HUGE pregnancy craving of mine.” Sun Singer also has a “pretty mean Bavarian pretzel sandwich” served with honey ham, Swiss cheese, honey mustard, and a warm pretzel roll.
And if you happen to be checking out all the Big Things in Casey, be sure to visit:
Tetzel Prime, 5 & 7 South Central Ave., Casey: “I’m not a huge pretzel person, but that place is a must.” “My favorite anywhere-near-here place to get a pretzel is Tetzel Prime in Casey and I’m a self-proclaimed soft pretzel snob.” The shop offers gourmet pretzels and dipping sauces and is cash only.
Know of someone we missed? Let us know what you love about their mouth-watering pretzels and email us.
Looking for more of the best foods around Champaign-Urbana?
- Where to Find the Best Chocolate Desserts around Champaign-Urbana
- The Best Mac and Cheese in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Best French Fries in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Best Barbecue in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- The Best Burgers in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Where to Find the Best Pretzels Around Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Find Boba Tea Around Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Area Ice Cream Trail
- Donut Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Pizza Trail around Champaign-Urbana (And Beyond)
- Cookie Trail Around Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Eat Sushi in Champaign-Urbana
- Wing Trail: 30 Places to Eat Chicken Wings In Champaign-Urbana
- Soup Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Taco Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Hot Chocolate Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Grilled Cheese Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Salad Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Slushy Cocktail Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Pie Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Guacamole Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Cinnamon Roll Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Nacho Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Hot Dog Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Cocktail Trail ‘To Go’ around Champaign-Urbana
- Cheese Curd Trail around Champaign-Urbana
- Donut Trail around Champaign-Urbana