It’s Columbus Day in Champaign-Urbana. Do you have kids out of school, daycare or preschool? Looking for something to do with them in the Champaign-Urbana area on Columbus Day? There are plenty of options for family fun, and many are low-cost or even free.
Of course, be sure what is open and closed before you go out.
Five free ideas:
- Get outside! Check out natural play areas, like Friendship Grove in Urbana or the Homer Lake Playscape. Take a hike at Lake of the Woods or climb and swing at any one of our local parks. See the fall color and be sure to bring a camera to get some good fall fun captured. Visit some of our favorite places to see beautiful foliage.
- Stop by the South Quad at U of I for the first campus-wide Indigenous Peoples Day Celebration. Ceremony begins at 11am.
- Visit a free museum space. Museum of the Grand Prairie, Krannert Art Museum, and Anita Purves Nature Center are all open – and free.
- Like to bike? Check out the Kickapoo Rail Trail for a unique family biking experience.
- Switch things up and visit a new-to-you library. Your kids will love exploring a different children’s area.
Five not free, but cheap ideas:
- Go ice skating at the Ice Arena. Lunchtime skate is scheduled from 11:15 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Regular admission fees apply and skate rentals too.
- Get your jump on! Elevate Trampoline Park opened a couple weeks ago! Regular admission fees apply.
- This is a great day to visit a pumpkin patch, pick apples, or do a corn maze! Oh – we have a list for that! Hopefully, the weather will cooperate.
- Go to campus for bowling. Take advantage of a Monday early bird special (11:30am-4pm) at the Illini Union bowling alley.
- Been wanting to check out the classic Disney princess movies at AMC? Moana is playing on Columbus Day.