Champaign Public Library Will Wow You With Offerings
From a newly expanded children’s area to one of the most comprehensively planned locations for families in Champaign-Urbana, we want your family to make the most of the Champaign Public Library.
With family friendly evening story time options, concerts galore and more books than you can even imagine to choose from, the Champaign Public Library is a hot spot for Champaign-Urbana families. We have put together a list of the top 10 reasons families will want to visit the Champaign Public Library as a part of their routine.
Even if you don’t live in Champaign-Urbana, you can join in for story time or bring your children to play at the library without even checking anything out. We assure you there’s plenty to do.
Here’s our list of the top 10 reasons to visit the library:
1. The expansive children’s area not only offers rows upon rows of books (more than 100,000 just in the children’s department) but a huge play area too. And unlike an area that only attracts the youngest of library patrons, the Champaign Public Library has designed something that we think is easy to enjoy with kids from toddler through school age. Enjoy watching kids play with the giant dollhouse or the big magnetic wall. Drop in while you’re running errands to break things up a little bit with some play.
2. Early readers will be met with the largest collection of early reader chapter book series in the area. There is literally something for every child and every interest.
3. You can check out books — in some cases even if you don’t live in Champaign! We are grateful that the Champaign Public Library and the Urbana Free Library have such a great relationship that cardholders to either library can check out books from the other. Curious about your options if you live outside Champaign or Urbana? Your best bet is to call or visit the library to get the exact options available for your particular situation.
4. Story hour is quite popular here. In addition to the traditional morning story time events, you’ll find evening story time options, sensory-friendly story time, play dates, music get-togethers and crafty times. Basically, ANY day is a good day to bring your kids to the library. Check out all their upcoming events here.
Other good things to know
5. Print from anywhere: We love that you don’t have to be AT the library to print! Use their mobile print portal and pick up your print job by closing time the same day. It’s $0.15 to print or copy a black and white page and $1 for a color page.
6. Technology for all: The library makes access to cutting edge technology simple: Free access to the internet at the library, iPads for children in the kids’ department, and an ultra-cool walk-in co-working workspace on the second floor with booths you can pop in to get your work done.
7. Meeting rooms: The library has several meeting rooms that are for FREE nonprofit and volunteer groups, as long as the person reserving the room is a City of Champaign resident. Reserve the room online that meets your group’s needs.
8. All the sunlight and all the quiet: We’re going to recommend this as one of our top “escapes” for parents in Champaign-Urbana if you find yourself with a few free hours (or minutes) and want to retreat somewhere. Sit along the windows with a book and enjoy the peace.
9. Options for teens, too: We know how challenging it can be to come up with spaces that teens actually want to hang, or things to do they actually want to do. The Champaign Public Library does this well. On any average school day, you’ll find a number of students from nearby Edison Middle School or Central High School spending their after school hours here. There are also programs, like the very popular Young Entrepreneur Program well-established here.
10. Home-bound delivery: Have a newborn at home? A sick kid? Can’t actually visit the library for any reason at all? The home delivery coordinator is someone you need to get a hold of. Fill out an application and they’ll be in touch with you on how to get your desired materials to you.
Top 10 Reasons to Visit the Urbana Free Library | Top 10 Reasons to Visit the Mahomet Public Library
Honestly, we could go on and on about the Champaign Public Library and reasons we think your family will want to make a visit. But we’ll stop there and encourage you to just GO! Don’t forget your picture ID and verification of your current Champaign address if you plan to apply for a library card while you’re in.
To learn more about other services the Champaign Public Library offers, go to champaign.org.
Champaign Public Library hours
Monday-Thursday 9 a.m.-9 p.m.
Friday-Saturday 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
Sunday noon-6 p.m.