Mahomet Public Library Offers Up Fun for Families
From an engaging children’s area to fun scheduled activities, why kids and families love the Mahomet Public Library.
Story times, puzzle-mania and just a plain old good reason to get out of the house on those days you just need to GO somewhere with your kids … the Mahomet Public Library is ready to welcome you for some literary (and social) fun.
It’s not just the 43,000 books, audiobooks and DVD’s waiting for you to check them out — the Mahomet Public Library is a truly favorite spot for Mahomet families. And even if you don’t live in Mahomet, you can shake up your normal play-at-the-library routine by visiting Mahomet’s library one day.
1. The children’s area is located in the back of the library, so just keep heading to the corner when you arrive. Our kids love the extensive puzzle selection and the baskets of books in the comfy sitting area that are just begging to be read. They have a beautiful backlit table perfect for magna-tile creations and a toddler-height train table. In our experience, even if you have a train table at home, a library train table is more enticing for some reason.
2. Pre-readers and early readers will be pleased to see a row of shelves just for them. It’s located right along the back wall window and has all those books grouped together.
3. The Mahomet Public Library offers a great menu of activities each month, too. You can find many of the upcoming events on our event calendar or on the MPL website. In addition to the morning story times for young kids, you’ll be happy to see a good variety of elementary programs during the school year (including on school early out days) and particularly during the summer. There are adult-only events like craft nights you may want to check out, too, for a night out without the kids right in Mahomet.
Other good things to know
4. Computer use: There are 16 computers with Internet access for library members and guests to walk in and use during library hours. There is a three-hour limit on computer use if others are waiting. (We are told it’s not usually an issue though.)
5. Fax/copier/printer: If you run out of printer ink, no worries. Just go to the MPL and take advantage of their services. It’s $.15 to print or copy a black and white page and $.50 for color. It’s $1 per page to fax.
6. Notary public: It’s a little-known secret that the Mahomet Public Library has five notaries on staff. Call ahead of time to make sure one is available when you plan to stop by. This service is FREE.
7. After-hours pickup lockers: Perfect for moms on the go who don’t have time to get out of the car. Just call ahead and ask a library staff member to leave something in the pickup locker and drive by after the library is closed to pick it up.
8. Free wi-fi: This is a great place to sneak away and get some work done without distractions.
9. Study room: For anybody who needs a private room to study or meet up, reserve this room ahead of time. It’s a great place for tutoring.
10. Home-bound delivery: For residents who are unable to leave their homes, the library will deliver books and other materials to their doorstep.
The Mahomet Public Library, which celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2016, is located at 1702 E. Oak St. in Mahomet. If you are a resident of Mahomet Township, you can get a library card. Just bring a picture ID and proof of address in to get signed up. To learn more about other services the Mahomet Public Library offers, go to mahometpubliclibrary.org.
Mahomet Public Library hours
Monday-Thursday 9 a.m.-8 p.m.
Friday 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
Saturday 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Sunday 1-5 p.m.