1505 N. Broadway
The Anita Purves Nature Center is an oasis for Champaign-Urbana families. In the summer, it is a cool place to escape the heat outdoors, while still learning about them. In the winter, it is an escape from cabin fever, a place to enjoy nature while learning about its mysteries. It is an excellent way to spend a rainy day, too. And it is completely FREE!
A wonderful characteristic of Anita Purves is that can be adapted to be appropriate for all ages. The toddlers and preschoolers can enjoy the live animals, looking at animal artifacts, and watching the birds in the wildlife observation room. They also have a fun floor puzzle you can put together.
But there are plenty of activities that are attractive to school-age children. Budding naturalists can learn how to observe and record observations of nature. There is plenty to read and absorb, particularly about Illinois wildlife, native plants and animals, and the ecosystem. The hands-on displays help kids feel that they are a part of nature too.
A highlight of your will be to visit Busey Woods, the 59-acre forest preserve adjacent to the Center. Surrounded by old, tall trees and a blanket of forest make you feel as if we had been transported away from home, to another place far away. Were you could see deer while walking the boardwalk.
The Busey Woods boardwalk is easily accessible for wheelchairs and strollers. There are also great didactics full of educational information along the way of the boardwalk. There are other “off-road” walking trails as well.
A few other characteristics of Anita Purves:
– the Audubon Nature Shop. Buy books, puppets, small toys and binoculars at the small gift shop within the center. Champaign County Audubon Society, this nonprofit shop donates all proceeds to local environmental education or conservation projects.
– Check out the calendar of events – Anita Purves hosts “Outdoor Little School” for preschoolers; night hikes for the family; and other specialized programs for children. Some require advance registration, so be on the lookout.
– Anita Purves also hosts fantastic birthday parties.
– The Park District has receptacles at Anita Purves, for a lot of difficult-to-recycle items, including batteries.
If you go:
Where: Urbana: Located at the north end of Crystal Lake Park, 1505 N. Broadway.
When: Open Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturdays 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Closed on Sundays. Closes annually in August for cleaning.
What to bring: Admission is Free! Bring a picnic if you want to have lunch or a snack in one of the lovely locations outside of the building or in Busey Woods – there is no food to purchase on site. Depending on the age of the child and the weather, plan on spending 30 minutes – 2 hours.
- Wild Encounters: Registration required - 10/26/2019 - 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
- Birds, Binoculars, & Beverages - 10/27/2019 - 7:15 am - 9:45 am
- Sunday Morning Bird Walks - 10/27/2019 - 7:30 am - 9:00 am
- Nature Center Pre-K Fridays - 11/01/2019 - 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Nature Center Pre-K Fridays - 11/08/2019 - 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Nature Center Pre-K Fridays - 11/15/2019 - 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- America Recycles Day - 11/16/2019 - 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Nature Center Pre-K Fridays - 11/22/2019 - 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Nature Center Pre-K Fridays - 12/06/2019 - 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- NEW! Scale-ebration! - 12/07/2019 - 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
- Nature Center Pre-K Fridays - 12/13/2019 - 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Recycled Gift Wrapping Workshop - 12/18/2019 - 5:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- Winter Solstice Prairie Grove Holiday (Pre-registration Required) - 12/21/2019 - 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm