Dressing up in a costume, getting treats and seeing animals all at once? Get your tickets for Boo at the Zoo and learn about other Halloween events at zoos near Champaign-Urbana
Scovill Zoo in Decatur is requiring online advance reservations for its annual family friendly Halloween event; other zoos are announcing special October events
If you love a visit to the zoo AND you’re a fan of Halloween, pencil Boo at the Zoo (and other similar events) into your October schedule. We have many zoos a short drive from Champaign-Urbana making special Halloween plans and we want you to get all the details now so you can avoid missing out.
Boo at the Zoo, Scovill Zoo
Must Know Info: Boo at the Zoo is held at Scovill Zoo in Decatur on select dates beginning Oct. 13 through Oct. 29. Reservations are required. Head here for the details on its website.
Get those costumes on and drive your kids over to the Scovill Zoo in Decatur for some outdoor Halloween fun. Kids can roam the zoo in their costumes during special evening hours. When registering, you choose whether that person wants a treat bag so there are two different prices for the treat and non-treat options. Kids under age 2 are free (and do not receive a treat bag). Of course, if you’d like them to receive treats you can register them, too.
Visit the Boo at the Zoo online reservations website to register.
Zoo Spooktacular, Miller Park Zoo
Must Know Info: Zoo Spooktacular is held at Miller Park Zoo in Bloomington on Oct. 21 (evening) and Oct. 22 (daytime). Reservations are not required. Get details on the upcoming events page of its website.
This event has lighted displays as part of its fun and excitement. A festive atmosphere with crafts, games, face painting and more. Many activities are included with admission to the zoo, except hayride tickets ($3 each, weather permitting). Wear your costumes!
Howl-Zoo-Ween, Peoria Zoo
Must Know Info: Howl-Zoo-Ween is held at Peoria Zoo on Oct. 13-14 during special evening hours. Purchase tickets ahead of time to avoid lines the night of the event. Visit the website for details.
This evening event has a trick-or-treat trail, bounce houses and more. You can purchase tickets ahead of time online or at the gift shop. It sounds like you can wait in a line the night of the event to purchase tickets but that doesn’t sound like fun to us. The online ticket purchase site is here.
Zoo Boo, Indianapolis Zoo
Must Know Info: Zoo Boo begins at 2 p.m. on select days between Sept. 27 and Oct. 31 and continues into evening hours (either 7 or 9 p.m.). Buy tickets ahead of time as these are “heavy traffic” days at the zoo. Read the details on the zoo website.
Trick-or-treating on a trick-or-treat trail, themed activities and awesomely active animals make Zoo Boo a favorite family tradition. Zoo Boo is included with regular admission to the zoo for that day. As all days are “heavy traffic” on the zoo ticket site, you’re encouraged to scoop up your tickets sooner rather than later.
Boo! at the Zoo, Brookfield Zoo
Must Know Info: Held on Saturdays and Sundays between Oct. 7 and Oct. 22 between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m., activities are included in regular zoo admission. Read the details on the zoo website.
Visit a number of family friendly Halloween photo ops, show off your costume and get a sweet treat upon exiting the zoo (instead of trick-or-treating) at this year’s Boo! at the Zoo. Activities are included in zoo admission; buy tickets ahead of time.
Boo at the Zoo, Saint Louis Zoo
Must Know Info: Boo at the Zoo is held nightly Oct. 13 through Oct. 29. Tickets are required; there is an admission fee (this is a free zoo during normal operating hours). Read the details on the zoo website.
This evening event is full of illuminated Halloween decorations, strolling entertainers and stage shows and more not-so-spooky evening fun. (Yes, this is a free zoo. Admission to Boo at the Zoo has a cost to attend.) Oct. 16 is a sensory-friendly night.
Interested in another option? Zootoberfest is a fall-themed, Oktoberfest inspired event that happens at the end of September and in early October.
Fall Fest, Lincoln Park Zoo
Must Know Info: Fall Fest isn’t exclusively a Halloween event, but it is certainly worth including on this list. Held Friday-Sundays between Sept. 29 and Oct. 29, several of the attractions are paid experiences (this is a free zoo). Read the details on the zoo website. You can purchase attraction ticket bundles ahead of time; admission to the event is free.
These harvest-themed days feature a pumpkin walk, professional pumpkin carvers, music and more. While the festive atmosphere will carry through the entire zoo for all visitors, there are additional fees for many things. No reservations required for this free zoo.
Looking for more about our favorite zoos and places to see animals near Champaign-Urbana?
- Best Places to Get Close to Animals in Champaign-Urbana
- Miller Park Zoo in Bloomington Announces Free Fridays
- Zoos Within 3 Hours of Champaign-Urbana
- Road Trip: Visit St. Louis as a Family
- 10 Things to Know About Henry Vilas Zoo in Wisconsin
- A Champaign-Urbana Favorite: Prairie Farm
- 10 Things to Know About Indianapolis Zoo
- 10 Things to Know About Brookfield Zoo
- 10 Things to Know about Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago
- 10 Things to Know About Peoria Zoo
- 10 Things to Know About Miller Park Zoo in Bloomington-Normal
- Head North for Family Fun: What To Do On Your Chicago Trip
- Frugal Family Fun: Get Wild and Head to the Saint Louis Zoo
- 10 Things to Know About Scovill Zoo in Decatur
- The Best Area Attraction You’ve Never Visited: Wildlife Prairie Park
Looking for more about fall in Champaign-Urbana?
- Where to Take Fall Family Photos in Champaign-Urbana
- 17+ Pumpkin Treats to Try Around Champaign-Urbana
- 10+ Places to See Fall Colors in Champaign-Urbana (and a Fall Trail Map)
- Champaign-Urbana Area Trick or Treat Hours
- Where to Trunk or Treat in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Halloween Events at Zoos Near Champaign-Urbana
- Fall Leaf and Yard Waste Collection in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Haunted Houses and Where to Get Scared in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Area Halloween Events and Activities
- Our Favorite Fall Parades in Champaign-Urbana
- 21 Things to Do During Fall (on a Budget) in Champaign-Urbana
- Fantastic Fall Festivals a Short Drive from Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Area Fall Fairs and Festivals
- Apples, Pumpkins and Corn Mazes in Champaign-Urbana
- Fall Fun for Families in Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Pick Apples Near Champaign-Urbana