Generations of Champaign-Urbana area families have taken their children to Prairie Farm each summer
Find out everything you need to know before planning a trip to Prairie Farm in Champaign
When you hear about Prairie Farm, you may think it sounds too good to be true! But this Champaign Park District gem is as wonderful as you have heard it is. Before you load up your littles in the car for a visit, we have the info you want to know.
Tips For Your Trip From Other Parents
- Prairie Farm is free … yes, FREE! There is some programming you can sign up for, but afternoons during open season are open to the public for free. There is a donation drop-box located at the farm if you are so inclined.
- Prairie Farm is an afternoon outing. Hours are 1-7 p.m. daily and petting zoo hours are 3-5 p.m. When you’re working around nap time with young children, you’ll want to keep this in mind so you don’t miss out on petting zoo time.
- You must wear closed toe/closed heel shoes to enter the petting zoo area. Yes, that includes the parent if you want to accompany your child into the petting zoo area. Shoes are a very important detail that can really affect your trip to the farm. You don’t need boots or anything; a pair of old tennis shoes will have you covered.
- The farm is open most of the summer, but not all summer. This is an important detail! You’ll want to make sure you note the closing date, as it varies from year to year and we’ve been known to miss our opportunity to visit the farm in years past when we haven’t been paying attention to how fast the summer is flying by. It typically opens on Memorial Day weekend and stays open through mid-August.
Is the farm good for toddlers?
Yes! We think it is. While children of all ages will enjoy a trip to the farm, we think Prairie Farm is most geared toward children 0-5 years old. There’s a small playground located there too, with play equipment geared toward this age group as well.
What amenities are offered?
Prairie Farm has a number of offerings, including:
- petting zoo area, featuring goats, donkeys and miniature horses (may vary)
- beautiful koi pond and bridge
- variety of farm animals including pigs, chickens, turkeys, horses and more
- portable toilets located on site for visitors’ use
- children’s playground
- programming like the free “story time at the farm” events and the popular “farm hands” summer program (cost to register) for older kids to help out at the farm
- birthday parties, tour groups and more available by request
Are food/snacks allowed?
You may not have open food near the animals at Prairie Farm. We have been known to have a snack on the playground, which is located a safe distance away from the animals. You can also walk to the nearby Oasis concession stand at Sholem Aquatic Center, which has a walk-up counter so you don’t have to be inside the pool to purchase pizza, chips, drinks, ice cream, etc.
Can I have a party or rent the facility?
Yes. Prairie Farm can work with a variety of groups/events to make a successful outing possible. Contact the Champaign Park District directly if you’re interested.
How do I get there?
Looking for more about our favorite zoos and places to see animals near Champaign-Urbana?
- Miller Park Zoo in Bloomington Announces Free Fridays
- Zoos Within 3 Hours of Champaign-Urbana
- Best Places to Get Close to Animals in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Road Trip: Visit St. Louis as a Family
- 10 Things to Know About Henry Vilas Zoo in Wisconsin
- A Champaign-Urbana Favorite: Prairie Farm
- 10 Things to Know About Indianapolis Zoo
- 10 Things to Know About Brookfield Zoo
- 10 Things to Know about Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago
- 10 Things to Know About Peoria Zoo
- 10 Things to Know About Miller Park Zoo in Bloomington-Normal
- Head North for Family Fun: What To Do On Your Chicago Trip
- Frugal Family Fun: Get Wild and Head to the Saint Louis Zoo
- 10 Things to Know About Scovill Zoo in Decatur
- The Best Area Attraction You’ve Never Visited: Wildlife Prairie Park
Get ready for summer in Champaign-Urbana:
- Summer Parades in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Best Midwest Summer Road Trips for Champaign-Urbana Families
- Beaches Within a Short Driving Distance of Champaign-Urbana
- How to Celebrate Juneteenth Around Champaign-Urbana
- 8 Great Summer Festivals in Central Illinois
- Champaign-Urbana Area Fourth of July FIREWORKS!
- 50+ Ways to Have Summer Fun on a Budget In and Around Champaign-Urbana
- Summer Fun in Chicago: Free Days at the Best Museums
- Champaign-Urbana Area Summer Fairs and Festivals
- Splash Pads Around Champaign-Urbana
- Strawberry Picking Near Champaign-Urbana
- How to Celebrate the Fourth of July in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Area Outdoor Swimming Pools
- Champaign-Urbana Area Summer Reading Programs
- Where to Go Boating with Your Family Near Champaign-Urbana
- Free and Cheap Outdoor Movies in Champaign-Urbana
- Have the Ultimate Outdoor Summer with Kids in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Summer Fun for Families in Champaign-Urbana
- Farmers Markets in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Outdoor Concerts in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Free Summer Kids Movies Return to Savoy
- Where to See a Baseball Game Near Champaign-Urbana
- Visiting Champaign-Urbana Area Parks and Playgrounds with your Family
- Things to Do for Teens (and Tweens) This Summer in Champaign-Urbana
- Fishing Fun for Families in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Swim Teams in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Where to Take Swim Lessons in Champaign-Urbana
- Season Pool Passes On Sale in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Summer Camps for Kids