If you’re looking for ideas for fun in December, you’ve come to the right place
December brings its unique set of holiday-related fun, and many of us find it difficult to squeeze in anything else. But rest assured, if you need a break from all things holiday, we can provide some suggestions.
Here are our top picks for December fun. (If you’re looking for more holiday fun, check out our Gigantic Holiday Fun Guide.
Thanks to Busey Bank for presenting our list of top things to do in December.
The Riggs market is quite a treat, featuring a variety of products in a German-style Christmas market. Enjoy offerings like homemade soap, wood-made Christmas ornaments, honey and preserves, and Christmas wreaths.
Festive light displays will showcase the farm for a perfect winter evening. Bring your hot chocolate or coffee, bundle up and stroll through the grounds.
Krannert Center for the Performing Arts is the home for this annual performance, conducted by Champaign Urbana Ballet. The holiday classic is sure to put you into the Christmas spirit!
To say that Santa Claus will be busy today is an understatement. He’s everywhere! That guy surely will be burning some calories today, eating breakfast and lunch with folks, riding in parades. In fact, he’s going to be so ubiquitous that we’ve put together a list of where you can find him, or eat with him.
In case you’re not aware, the ice arena is open for public skating at various times during the week, including weekends!
See the Illini women, under the direction of new coach Shauna Green, take on Rutgers in their Big Ten home opener. The Illini are off to a strong start and appear on an improving track under Green.
This is always one of the highlights of the holiday season in Champaign-Urbana. If you dig Christmas lights, a visit to Candlestick Lane in Urbana is a must. Then again, if you dig Christmas lights, you have to check out our posts on where to find them around C-U and where to find them in Central Illinois.
Here’s a holiday treat: Instead of enjoying one presentation by the Champaign Park District’s Youth Theatre, you get two! Two 30-minute plays, back-to-back, will have you in the spirit and feeling the holiday love. Check out the schedule here.
The Princess Tea at Refinery in Champaign gives children the pleasure of talking to Santa, meeting Disney princesses and watching a short Christmas movie, among other things. Partial proceeds go to children in need. Make sure you register for one of two time slots.
Celebrate New Year’s Eve — at noon — at Champaign’s Martens Center with activities, hats, noisemakers, music, balloons and a countdown. You must register.
If our November weather was any indication, December promises some sledding conditions. If that’s indeed the case, you can prepare for the slippery fun by checking out our list of where to enjoy sledding in Champaign-Urbana.
Everything Holiday Season In and Around Champaign-Urbana
- Amazing Christmas Lights Around Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Where to Find Santa Claus in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- All Aboard: Polar Express Fun (Beyond the Train) in Champaign-Urbana
- Meals with Santa Claus in Champaign-Urbana
- Holiday Lights at the Zoo: Where to Drive From Champaign-Urbana
- 50+ Experience Gift Ideas for Kids in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Holiday Bucket List: 35 Things To Do Before Christmas
- 10 Festive Indianapolis Destinations for a Family Holiday Getaway
- 25 Things to Do During Thanksgiving Break in Champaign-Urbana
- 8 Great Places to See Holiday Lights in Central Illinois
- Holiday Season Parades in and around Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Buy a Live Christmas Tree Near Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Eat Dinner on Thanksgiving in Champaign-Urbana
- Home for the Holidays: Shopping and Eating Locally in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Area Holiday Events and Activities
- Champaign-Urbana Area Christmas Shows, Concerts, Performances and More