There is something special about the tradition of a German Christmas market and we are looking forward to visiting one in Urbana
After years without a German Christmas market in Champaign-Urbana prior to 2019 and festivities on hold in 2020, we are excited to see plans in the making at Riggs Beer Company once again this holiday season.
For the first time in 2019, Matt Riggs and his wife Caroline, part of the ownership family of Riggs Beer Company, constructed and opened a German Christmas market at the Urbana store. There was food, including “sweet and savory crepes” along with bratwurst, potato pancakes, hot spiced wine and “very much what you would find at a German Christmas market in Germany,” according to Riggs.
The traditional huts that are characteristic of German Christmas markets truly made the experience. Not only do they provide a beautiful backdrop for the experience but, by being stacked closely together, they block the wind to help keep visitors warmer than if the winter winds were blowing right across the open fields.
After a year without the festivities in 2020, we can anticipate the return of the market during this year’s holiday season. There is no fee to get in – “just come and be merry,” they say.
This year will have a new featured addition: Jason Mack will be building a giant glass Christmas tree, live during the market, from recycled glass bottles.
Featured food items for 2021 will be brats, potato pancakes, crepes, candied almonds, hot mulled wine and hot cocoa.
Here are the dates/times for 2021’s German Christmas market at Riggs:
- Four weekends between Thanksgiving and Christmas
- Opening November 26
- Thursdays and Fridays, 4-8 p.m.
- Saturdays and Sundays, 2-7 p.m.
There are German Christmas markets in the Chicagoland area, but none other than the one at Riggs to be found downstate.
We eagerly anticipate the opportunity to shop various local vendors, selling products like homemade soap, wood-made Christmas ornaments, honey and preserves, and Christmas wreaths. In 2019, the vendor lineup changed slightly each week so we can expect that once again.
Follow Riggs Beer Company on Facebook for more announcements about the German Christmas Market as the holiday season approaches.
Everything Holiday Season In and Around Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Eat on Christmas in Champaign-Urbana
- Meals with Santa Claus in Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Find Santa Claus in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- 50+ Experience Gift Ideas for Kids in Champaign-Urbana
- Amazing Christmas Lights Around Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Live Nativity Displays in Champaign-Urbana
- Holiday Lights at the Zoo: Where to Drive From Champaign-Urbana
- How to Chop Down Your Own Christmas Tree in the Shawnee National Forest – For $5 (or Less)
- Home for the Holidays: Shopping and Eating Locally in Champaign-Urbana
- Botanical Garden at Lake of the Woods to Illuminate during Holidays for First Time
- 8+ Great Places to See Holiday Lights in Central Illinois
- All Aboard: Polar Express Fun (Beyond the Train) in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Area Holiday Events and Activities
- Where to Buy a Live Christmas Tree Near Champaign-Urbana
- Christmas Parades near Champaign-Urbana
- German Christmas Market Returns to Riggs Beer Company in Urbana
- What You Need to Know About the Walk-Through Holiday Lights at Allerton Park