The holiday season is full of great Christmas shows, concerts, and performances of all kinds
When you’re looking for a festive outing for your family this season, we give you all the options throughout Champaign-Urbana
If you are looking for Champaign-Urbana Christmas shows, concerts, movies and holiday performances, you’re in luck. There are many Christmas performances around Champaign, Urbana, Monticello, and other locations this November and December. Champaign-Urbana Christmas holiday performances range from single performance shows to those that run through the whole season such as plays, musicals, concerts, and of course the ballet.
Thanks to Champaign Urbana Ballet for presenting our holiday performances compilation.
Celebrating its 26th season, Champaign Urbana Ballet brings another season of magic with its beloved holiday classic, The Nutcracker on Nov. 30 – Dec. 3 at Krannert Center for the Performing Arts. Nutcracker regulars and first-timers alike can ring in the holiday season with this joyous tradition featuring intricate stagecraft with expertly designed and locally inspired scenery, beautifully hand-crafted costumes, and, as always, the artistry and athleticism of CU Ballet’s extraordinary dancers. This time-honored community tradition is a time for making memories as we wait in anticipation for the most beautiful season of the year. From the opening notes of the overture, to Clara’s farewell to her Nutcracker Prince, CU Ballet’s production of The Nutcracker is an experience you’ll treasure.
The following list includes shows with tickets generally $15 or less (and some cases, free!) This listing includes family-friendly shows only.
The following shows are higher-cost ticket items. (For family friendliness, be sure to look at the info.)
- The Champaign Urbana Ballet presents an annual tradition, The Nutcracker, at Krannert Center for the Performing Arts Nov. 30 – Dec. 3. Hoffman’s timeless tale — complete with enchanted toys, a princely hero, and fanciful figures — comes to life in this showcase of community talent. This holiday tradition sparkles with exquisitely handcrafted costumes and magical moments. Recommended for ages 5 and up. Tickets on sale through Krannert Center; prices are $19 for kids 12 and under and $48 for a standard ticket.
- Head out to Kirkland Fine Arts Center for Vespers and enjoy over 200 musicians in a joyous musical feast of choral selections including classical, choral modern, gospel and traditional songs. Limited seating is available, so be sure to reserve your tickets in advance. Tickets go on sale Nov. 7. Kirkland will also have The Nutcracker on Dec. 11; tickets now on sale.
- The Champaign-Urbana Symphony Orchestra presents A Season of Joy at Krannert Center for the Performing Arts on Dec. 6. Champaign-Urbana Symphony Orchestra’s joyous welcome to the holidays presents a delightful mix of traditional and contemporary music for the whole family to enjoy. The Central Illinois Youth Chorus and the University of Illinois Oratorio Society will join in select songs. The finale will make spirits bright as Maestro Alltop leads a sing-along of favorite carols and the Hallelujah Chorus. There’s a good chance Santa Claus will make an appearance, too! Tickets on sale through Krannert Center; prices range from $10-$40.
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Musical is coming to the State Farm Center on Dec. 20. Rudolph and the holly jolly cast of characters, including Hermey the Elf, Yukon Cornelius, and Bumble the Abominable Snow Monster — along with the audience — will help Santa save Christmas! Tickets available through the State Farm Center ticket office; ticket prices start at $29. chambanamoms.com is proud to offer a FREE pre-show holiday experience (must be a Rudolph ticket holder to attend this event, registration is required).
- A Magical Cirque Christmas is coming to the Virginia Theatre on Dec. 9. This is a variety show full of nostalgia, charm, and awe-inspiring performances for all ages. Tickets available through the Virginia Theatre website; pricing begins at $49.
Everything Holiday Season In and Around Champaign-Urbana
- How to Have a Family-Friendly New Year’s Eve in Champaign-Urbana
- 5 Things to Do on Christmas Day in Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Eat on Christmas in Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Order Holiday Meals and Treats in Champaign-Urbana
- A Beloved University of Illinois Tradition Sings On: Dial-A-Carol Goes Live Dec. 7
- Amazing Christmas Lights Around Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- What You Need to Know About Chanukah
- Chanukah in Champaign-Urbana: What, When and Where to Shop
- 10+ Reasons to Visit Chicago During the Holiday Season
- Champaign-Urbana Holiday Bucket List: 35 Things To Do Before Christmas
- 10+ Things to Do in Indianapolis for a Holiday Getaway
- Holiday Giving and Volunteering in Champaign-Urbana
- All Aboard: Polar Express Fun (Beyond the Train) in Champaign-Urbana
- Live Nativity Displays in Champaign-Urbana
- Zoo Lights: Where to Drive From Champaign-Urbana
- 50+ Experience Gift Ideas for Kids in Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Buy a Live Christmas Tree Near Champaign-Urbana
- 8 Great Places to See Holiday Lights in Central Illinois
- Where to Find Santa Claus in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Home for the Holidays: Shopping and Eating in Champaign-Urbana
- Holiday Season Parades in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Champaign-Urbana Area Holiday Events and Activities
- Champaign-Urbana Area Christmas Shows, Concerts, Performances and More