If you’re looking for ideas for fun in December, you’ve come to the right place
December brings its unique set of holiday-related fun, and many of us find it difficult to squeeze in anything else. But rest assured, if you need a break from all things holiday, we can provide some suggestions.
Here are our top picks for December fun. (If you’re looking for more holiday fun, check out our Holiday Events and Activities.
Thanks to Dick’s House of Sport for presenting our list of top things to do in December.
The Riggs market is quite a treat, featuring a variety of products in a German-style Christmas market. Enjoy offerings like homemade soap, wood-made Christmas ornaments, honey and preserves, and Christmas wreaths.
Festive light displays will showcase the farm for a perfect winter evening. Bring your hot chocolate or coffee, bundle up and stroll through the grounds.
To say that Santa Claus will be busy today is an understatement. He’s everywhere! That guy surely will be burning some calories today, eating breakfast and lunch with folks, riding in parades. In fact, he’s going to be so ubiquitous that we’ve put together a list of where you can find him.
This is always one of the highlights of the holiday season in Champaign-Urbana. If you dig Christmas lights, a visit to Candlestick Lane in Urbana is a must. Then again, if you dig Christmas lights, you have to check out our posts on where to find them around C-U and where to find them in Central Illinois.
See the Illini women take on Michigan in their Big Ten home opener. The Illini are off to another good start and appear to be able to cause more commotion in the Big Ten this season.
Join your fellow park lovers at King Park in Urbana for a self-guided stroll through the walking path, enjoying s’mores and hot chocolate at the end of the line. RSVP by noon on Dec. 10 by calling (217) 367-1544. Sponsored by the Urbana Park District.
In case you’re not aware, the ice arena is open for public skating at various times during the week, including weekends!
Wait, what? Yep, get your picture taken with goats dressed up in holiday attire! Visit Prairie Fruits Farm and Creamery for goat milk hot chocolate and brownie-gelato sundaes while shopping for holiday gifts in the farm store. No admission but there are charges for the photo booth and food.
Celebrate New Year’s Eve — at noon — at Champaign’s Martens Center with activities, hats, noisemakers, music, balloons and a countdown. You must register.
If our November weather was any indication — we actually got some snow in November! — then December promises some sledding conditions. If that’s indeed the case, you can prepare for the slippery fun by checking out our list of where to enjoy sledding in Champaign-Urbana.
Everything Holiday Season In and Around Champaign-Urbana
- How to Have a Family-Friendly New Year’s Eve in Champaign-Urbana
- 5 Things to Do on Christmas Day in Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Eat on Christmas in Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Order Holiday Meals and Treats in Champaign-Urbana
- A Beloved University of Illinois Tradition Sings On: Dial-A-Carol Goes Live Dec. 7
- Amazing Christmas Lights Around Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- What You Need to Know About Chanukah
- Chanukah in Champaign-Urbana: What, When and Where to Shop
- 10+ Reasons to Visit Chicago During the Holiday Season
- Champaign-Urbana Holiday Bucket List: 35 Things To Do Before Christmas
- 10+ Things to Do in Indianapolis for a Holiday Getaway
- Holiday Giving and Volunteering in Champaign-Urbana
- All Aboard: Polar Express Fun (Beyond the Train) in Champaign-Urbana
- Live Nativity Displays in Champaign-Urbana
- Zoo Lights: Where to Drive From Champaign-Urbana
- 50+ Experience Gift Ideas for Kids in Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Buy a Live Christmas Tree Near Champaign-Urbana
- 8 Great Places to See Holiday Lights in Central Illinois
- Where to Find Santa Claus in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Home for the Holidays: Shopping and Eating in Champaign-Urbana
- Holiday Season Parades in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Champaign-Urbana Area Holiday Events and Activities
- Champaign-Urbana Area Christmas Shows, Concerts, Performances and More