New to the community? New to a school district in the Champaign-Urbana area? Start here.
For some families, registering children — from preschoolers to high schoolers — for the next school year happened months ago. For others, this process will occur in the next few weeks.
We put this list together of public school registration dates and information for communities around Champaign County, focusing on Champaign, Urbana, Mahomet, and Rantoul. Other school districts’ information may be added throughout the season.
When you are looking for your first steps (or any questions) regarding school registration, please contact your district with specific questions; we provide this as a community service.
Whether it takes place in-person or using a digital platform, school registration is an important topic for families, especially those who are new to the community or have moved districts.
If you’re new to the community, new to schooling for your child, or just need to register your child for school, we hope this article is helpful to you.
Check out our entire Back to School Series, presented by Christie Clinic:
- Ask the Doctor: Adjusting to Back to School
- Back to School: 8 Things You Didn’t Know You Needed
- Back to School: 9 Tips for Ninth Graders
- Save Money on Back to School in Champaign-Urbana: Free Supplies, Backpacks, Haircuts and Health Screenings
- Champaign-Urbana Area School Registration Information for 2023-24
- Champaign-Urbana Area School Start Dates
- Back to School: Dental, Vision Exams Required for Illinois Students
- School Physicals: What’s Required for Illinois Students in 2023
- Back to School: Immunizations Required for Illinois Students
Unit 4 families returning from the previous year should have received an email around April with online registration information. The email included a link to the website along with instructions on how to register for the upcoming school year. Online registration for returning students closed at the end of May; if you missed the window, contact your school building.
If you have an elementary school or middle school student who is transferring to the district, please follow this link to find the information.
If your high school student is new to the district, you must contact your child’s high school (this is determined by your address) and set up a time to share academic information from the previous school. You are advised to do this as soon as possible.
Registration for returning USD 116 students for the 2023-24 school year became available online starting in late April. Registration and enrollment information will be focused on parents or guardians who have a student who completed the previous year at an Urbana 116 school. This includes students moving from a neighborhood elementary school to Urbana Middle School, or moving from Urbana Middle School to Urbana High School.
For K-12 students new to the district, USD 116 has set up a page here to answer questions.
For returning students: Online registration will open July 10 in Skyward.
In Rantoul, the Rantoul City Schools district covers pre-k through 8th grade; the Rantoul Township High School district covers grades 9-12.
Rantoul City Schools
Online registration for new and returning students opened online on May 1; available here. If online registration is not possible for a family, email Darcy Widener at email@example.com or call to leave a voicemail at (217) 893-5452. She will contact you to make other arrangements for registration.
Registration will be held on Tuesday, Aug. 1 from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. in the cafeteria. New families can visit this website for answers to some of your questions. Call the high school at (217) 892-2151 for assistance.
More details by district
This is not a comprehensive list of all public school districts in the Champaign-Urbana area. Reach out directly to your school with questions. If we do not have specific registration info, we will simply include a link to that district’s website.
- Fisher CUSD 1 – online registration opens in July.
- Gibson City-Melvin-Sibley – online registration opens in July. In-person registration is scheduled for Aug. 2, and for new students by appointment on Aug. 3.
- Gifford Grade School – in-person registration is scheduled for Aug. 2 from 8 a.m. to noon and 1-4 p.m. and Aug. 3 from 8 a.m. to noon and 1-6:30 p.m.
- Heritage CUSD 8
- Monticello CUSD 25 – details on how to register are available here. New student registration is Aug. 3 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Prairieview-Ogden – registration forms are available online; registration dates are Aug. 1-2.
- St. Joseph CCSD 169 – registration info is available online; online registration dates are Aug 2-6.
- St. Joseph-Ogden High School
- Thomasboro Grade School – online registration is open. In-person registration will be held July 11 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m. and July 12 from noon to 7 p.m.
- Tuscola 301
- Unit 7 Schools (Tolono, Sadorus, Sidney, Philo, Pesotum) – Registration opens Aug. 1. Returning students can register fully online; new students can register in-person on Aug. 1 from noon to 7 p.m. or Aug. 2 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at each building.