Make family memories at Christmas tree farms — and other places to buy a live Christmas tree in the Champaign-Urbana area
There is nothing quite like heading to a Champaign-Urbana area Christmas tree farm to pick out the perfect Christmas tree. Whether you want to cut your own Christmas tree or you prefer to choose from a selection of fresh-cut trees, our handy guide will help you find the best tree farms near you. And many of the area farms offer unique experiences to make your visit even more memorable!
Chambanamoms thanks No Bad Days Farm for presenting this post.
No Bad Days Farm is a small, family farm northeast of Shelbyville dedicated to honoring the owners’ son and brother, Tucker. It provides fresh cut Fraser Fir Christmas trees and wreaths, pumpkins and mums in the fall, and vegetables and honey in the spring and summer. No Bad Days Farm has a small music festival, Rhythm & Blooms, in June.
Christmas tree season opens on Saturday, Nov. 19 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. In addition to trees and wreaths, No Bad Days will have roping, grave pillows, swags, candles and many other Christmas items. Enjoy a warm fire, popcorn, hot chocolate and wassail.
- Sat. Nov. 19, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. and Sun. Nov. 20, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Fri. Nov. 25, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Sat. Nov. 26, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Sun. Nov. 27, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- SANTA NIGHT Fri. Dec. 2, 5-8 p.m. Bring the kids to see Santa & Mrs. Claus, a fantastic ice sculptor, Christmas carolers and a few local vendors.
- Sat. Dec. 3, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. and Sun. Dec. 4 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
No Bad Days Farm is located at 2300 E 1421 North Road, Shelbyville 62565 (1 mile north of the Sloan John Deere dealer on Rt. 16 east of Shelbyville).
For More Information: Website, Facebook, Instagram, email or call Kenny at (217) 962-1853
A few tips before you go out to get your live Christmas tree:
– Some farms only take cash or checks.
– Trees sell out. Go early for the best selection.
– Some places allow dogs but remember to ask if you’re not sure.
– Some places allow you to cut your own tree; others do it for you. Most do not allow chainsaws.
– Tree farms can be difficult to find, so do your research and bring your sense of humor. We’ve provided links to help. Get your GPS ready and go find the perfect tree.
– Dress appropriately!
– Be on the look out for this year’s updated information about how to recycle a live Christmas tree.
PLACES TO CUT YOUR OWN TREE NEAR CHAMPAIGN-URBANA:
Hardy’s Reindeer Ranch, Rantoul: Hardy’s Reindeer Ranch has choose-and-cut Christmas trees, as well as Fraser from North Carolina and Douglas Fir, Scotch and White Pine from Indiana. It has saws, a tree shaker and baler for your convenience. Tree sales typically begin around Thanksgiving; this year on Wednesday, Nov. 23. Check the website for hours. Of course, you can see some reindeer while you’re there; read our tips on what to know.
Pheasant Ridge Farms, Urbana:
This small farm located south of Urbana will open on Saturday, Nov. 26 from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. for choose and cut Christmas trees, with “limited services.” According to their Facebook page, they will be open these hours on Saturdays and Sundays. They have several varieties of fir, spruce and pine from 6′ and up available. Leashed dogs are allowed. They have not offered their cut-your-own trees to the public since 2017! Editor’s note: now closed for 2022.
Helmig’s Tree Farm, Saybrook:
Multiple varieties and sizes of choose and cut and pre-cut trees; saws are available. Helmig’s will shake, bale and tie your tree to the roof of your vehicle. Pre-cut trees, wreaths, ornaments and commemorative mugs for sale as well. Opening day for 2022 is Friday, November 25. Editor’s note: now closed for 2022.
Phillips Christmas Trees, Heyworth:
This choose-and-cut Christmas tree farm is located south of Bloomington. Opening day for 2022 is Friday, November 18. They plan to be open Fri-Sun 10am – 4pm. If you want to tag a tree early, call and they will try to accommodate your schedule. Editor’s note: now closed for 2022.
PLACES TO BUY A LIVE TREE IN CHAMPAIGN-URBANA AND BEYOND (no cutting needed):
Prairie Gardens, Champaign: A selection of fresh cut Christmas trees, wreaths, roping, and garland arriving around the third week of November. Check its Facebook page for availability.
Tate’s Trees, Champaign:
Opening day is Monday, Nov. 21, open daily 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. until sell out (closed on Thanksgiving). Located north of Champaign on Mattis Avenue. Several varieties available. Offering limited delivery as well as tree pickup and recycling. Editor’s note: now closed for 2022.
Country Arbors Nursery, Urbana: Pre-cut Christmas trees, greens, wreaths, grave blankets, live trees and garland will be available at the nursery starting in mid-November; online pre-sales began on November 1. They offer online ordering as well as delivery (for a fee) to select zip codes. Check their Facebook page for availability and other details.
4EverGreen Tree Company, Bondville:
Friends Joe and Pat are selling pre-cut Christmas trees and wreaths in a pop-up shop along Route 10. Opening November 25, they plan to be open Fridays and Saturdays 9am – 6pm, and Sundays 12 – 6pm. (Be sure to check their social media for any changes to these hours before heading out.) Enjoy coffee, hot chocolate, cookies, and candy canes while picking out your Fraser Fir or White Pine. Editor’s note: now closed for 2022.
No Bad Days Farm, Shelbyville:
Pre-cut Christmas trees available beginning Nov. 19. In the past, it has had a variety of 6-7 feet, 7-8 feet and 8-9 feet Fraser Fir, Nordman, Scotch and Concolor pines. It also has fresh wreaths as well as grave pillows and blankets. Open weekends from 9 a.m. – dusk, as well as the day after Thanksgiving. Editor’s note: now closed for 2022.
Sunset Christmas Tree Farm, Mansfield: Pre-cut Fraser and Concolor Firs ranging in size from three feet up to 12 feet, wreaths, swags, grave pillows and roping all made at the farm. Opening day is Friday, Nov. 25; open 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays until sell out. Note: Sunset does not plan to sell any choose-and-cut your own trees for the next few years.
Would you consider driving to southern Illinois into Shawnee National Forest to cut down your own Christmas tree for only $5? Click here for details.
PLACES NOT CONFIRMED FOR 2022:
Forest Hills Tree Farm, Danville: Will be closed for the 2022 Christmas season.
Illini Foresters, Urbana: This sale did not happen in 2020 or 2021; no info available for the 2022 season. In past years Illini Foresters sold a small number of trees at Race and Windsor in Urbana. Tree sales typically started in early December until sell out. Check the NRES Facebook page.
C-U Optimist Club, Champaign: The Optimist Club did not hold its sale in 2020 or 2021; no info available for the 2022 season. In past years, it sold trees under a tent at the corner of Springfield and Mattis (Country Fair shopping center). Tree sales typically started after Thanksgiving until sell out. Proceeds benefited events, programs and charities that serve local children.
Did we leave your favorite tree farm off our list? Do you have a tree buying tip that our readers need to know? Let us know!
Looking for more? Subscribe to our Home for the Holidays Newsletter. Want more ideas for holiday (or everyday) fun? Check out our Events Calendar.
Everything Holiday Season In and Around Champaign-Urbana
- How to Have a Family-Friendly New Year’s Eve in Champaign-Urbana
- 5 Things to Do on Christmas Day in Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Eat on Christmas in Champaign-Urbana
- A Beloved University of Illinois Tradition Sings On: Dial-A-Carol Goes Live Dec. 8
- Where to Order Holiday Meals and Treats in Champaign-Urbana
- Holiday Giving and Volunteering in Champaign-Urbana
- Amazing Christmas Lights Around Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Where to Find Santa Claus in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- All Aboard: Polar Express Fun (Beyond the Train) in Champaign-Urbana
- Meals with Santa Claus in Champaign-Urbana
- Holiday Lights at the Zoo: Where to Drive From Champaign-Urbana
- 50+ Experience Gift Ideas for Kids in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Holiday Bucket List: 35 Things To Do Before Christmas
- 10 Festive Indianapolis Destinations for a Family Holiday Getaway
- 8 Great Places to See Holiday Lights in Central Illinois
- Holiday Season Parades in and around Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Buy a Live Christmas Tree Near Champaign-Urbana
- Home for the Holidays: Shopping and Eating Locally in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Area Holiday Events and Activities
- Champaign-Urbana Area Christmas Shows, Concerts, Performances and More