Your children can splash away the summer at Champaign-Urbana area splash pads
These free, water-based playgrounds are open for family fun all summer long in Champaign, Urbana and surrounding communities
From Champaign to Homer, Rantoul to Bloomington, there are numerous splash pads that Champaign-Urbana area families can visit during summertime months. Some are newer than others, some have more bells and whistles, but all of them prove to be great for keeping cool and staying on a budget.
Perhaps the most famous splash pad in Champaign-Urbana, Hessel Park has been there for far longer than this generation of today’s kids. The Champaign Park District property was updated in 2018 with new water features and many improvements. It is turned on from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., seven days a week, Memorial Day to Labor Day. It has a theme of bugs/critters and your kids are sure to find this adorable. A handful of nearby benches are available. The bathrooms, if you’ve not experienced them before, have the feel of pool bathrooms.
Not as “famous” as Hessel Park but nearly equal in size and features, the Douglass Park splash pad is on the same block as the Douglass Branch Library and at the same park that features a real “fitness trail.” This splash pad is typically much less crowded than Hessel (the secret is out now!) and it is another great spot to set up camp for a couple hours while the kids play. Bathrooms are available at the community center (located on the same property).
Brand new in 2021, the splash pad at the Rantoul Sports Complex highlights sports-themed features and offers a great way for kids to cool down before, during or after a game at the adjacent sports complex. You’ll find it running, weather-permitting, during summer days and special events. A mud-free playground also opened next to the splash pad, so you can really have a good time letting your kids burn off some summer energy here. Located right off the Rantoul exit from Interstate 57.
The farthest drive on our list, this splash pad is located outside Miller Park Zoo in Bloomington-Normal, just under an hour’s drive from the heart of Champaign-Urbana. Why do we think it is worth the drive? The abundance of water features, for starters! This splash pad is HUGE. We don’t have the specifics on square footage, but we can tell you it feels gigantic compared to the other splash pads on our list. Kids can aim the sprayers towards other kids running around the splash pad (or siblings, ahem) and get just as soaked as they would in a pool. So don’t skip the swimsuits if you’re coming to this destination. Note: We’ve been known to trek over with our littles JUST for the splash pad, without even venturing to the zoo located across the park from here. It is a trip in and of itself.
Homer Village Park
The park in downtown Homer is a lovely place to head with your kiddos to cool off in a shaded playground with a water play option. If you are looking for a quiet, small-town park feel, Homer is the splash pad for you. It is much smaller than the other options on this list, but that doesn’t mean it won’t be a welcome outing for your kids, especially younger ones.
Homer Lake Playscape
Want another water play option in Homer? Be sure to visit the natural playscape at Homer Lake. Not a splash pad, but another free option to get cooled off (pictured below).
Get ready for summer in Champaign-Urbana:
- Champaign County Fair Fun for Families: Preview, Highlights, Tips and Ways to Save
- Blueberry Picking Near Champaign-Urbana
- Summer Parades in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Best Midwest Summer Road Trips for Champaign-Urbana Families
- Beaches Within a Short Driving Distance of Champaign-Urbana
- How to Celebrate Juneteenth Around Champaign-Urbana
- 8 Great Summer Festivals in Central Illinois
- Champaign-Urbana Area Fourth of July FIREWORKS!
- 50+ Ways to Have Summer Fun on a Budget In and Around Champaign-Urbana
- Summer Fun in Chicago: Free Days at the Best Museums
- Champaign-Urbana Area Summer Fairs and Festivals
- Splash Pads Around Champaign-Urbana
- Strawberry Picking Near Champaign-Urbana
- How to Celebrate the Fourth of July in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Area Outdoor Swimming Pools
- Champaign-Urbana Area Summer Reading Programs
- Where to Go Boating with Your Family Near Champaign-Urbana
- Free and Cheap Outdoor Movies in Champaign-Urbana
- Have the Ultimate Outdoor Summer with Kids in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Summer Fun for Families in Champaign-Urbana
- Farmers Markets in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Outdoor Concerts in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Free Summer Kids Movies Return to Savoy
- Where to See a Baseball Game Near Champaign-Urbana
- Visiting Champaign-Urbana Area Parks and Playgrounds with your Family
- Things to Do for Teens (and Tweens) This Summer in Champaign-Urbana
- Fishing Fun for Families in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Swim Teams in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Where to Take Swim Lessons in Champaign-Urbana
- Season Pool Passes On Sale in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Summer Camps for Kids