By Kelly Youngblood
It’s time to add another item to your summer fun bucket list– a new splash pad is opening soon in Mahomet, just in time for those long, hot sunny days.
A grand opening for the Bill & Lisa Peithmann Splash Pad, located at Barber Park, 703 S. McDougal Road, will be held on Friday, June 2 at 6 p.m. The event will include music, food trucks and more. Check out the Mahomet Parks and Recreation Facebook page for more details.
The event will also be an opportunity to unveil the new inclusive playground, additional pathways and amphitheater at Barber Park.
“We feel these new amenities will greatly improve the quality of life for our residents and greatly enhance the experience for existing park users,” said Dan Waldinger, director of the Mahomet parks and recreation department. “These new amenities will improve our physical and psychological health, strengthen our community, and make our village and neighborhoods more attractive places to live and work.”
The department initiated a comprehensive planning process for Barber Park in 2018, utilizing information gathered from previous plans, studies and community surveys. A splash pad was part of a larger project that included the addition of the new playground, paths and amphitheater.
Waldinger said the splash pad is “full of fun events separated into three different age-appropriate zones.” Highlights include a giant dump bucket and an interactive water table.
“There is something for everyone,” Waldinger said.
The total cost of the project was about $1 million and was funded by a combination of grants, fundraising, sponsorship, naming rights and Village of Mahomet tax funds.
The splash pad will be free and open to the public from Monday-Sunday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. through Labor Day. It will also be available to rent for private parties or events. For more information about rental fees and hours, you can check out this link.
RELATED: Splash pads around Champaign-Urbana
Get ready for summer in Champaign-Urbana:
- Strawberry Picking Near Champaign-Urbana
- Summer Fun in Chicago: Free Days at the Best Museums
- Best Midwest Summer Road Trips for Champaign-Urbana Families
- How to Celebrate the Fourth of July in Champaign-Urbana
- 7 Great Summer Festivals in Central Illinois
- Champaign-Urbana Area Summer Reading Programs
- Champaign-Urbana Area Summer Fairs and Festivals
- 50+ Ways to Have Summer Fun on a Budget In and Around Champaign-Urbana
- Free and Cheap Outdoor Movies in Champaign-Urbana
- Swim Teams in Champaign-Urbana
- Outdoor Concerts in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Free Kids Movies Return to Savoy in Summer
- Visiting Champaign-Urbana Area Parks and Playgrounds with your Family
- Farmers Markets in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Summer Fun for Families in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Area Swimming Pools
- Things to Do for Teens (and Tweens) This Summer in Champaign-Urbana
- Fishing Fun for Families in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Where to Take Swim Lessons in Champaign-Urbana
- Season Pool Passes On Sale in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Summer Camps for Kids