Our favorite place to stop along Windsor Road, Meadowbrook Park in Urbana is a terrific playground (and so much more!) for kids and adults alike
Fly a kite, climb the wooden play structures or take a lovely stroll along the walking paths when you visit Meadowbrook Park in Urbana
Driving down Windsor Road through Urbana leads you right past one of the most captivating outdoor spaces Champaign-Urbana has to offer. You may not be expecting this massive playground and sprawling green space to appear among the cornfields you are passing by, and you are truly missing out if you always drive past and never stop!
The Urbana Park District and other community organizations have come together to make Meadowbrook Park — located on the southern end of Champaign-Urbana and a short distance from the University of Illinois Campus — what it is today.
What we love about Meadowbrook Park
Meadowbrook Park has a little bit of everything and checks the major “boxes” parents are looking for when it comes to a place to spend time outdoors:
- expansive playground
- convenient bathroom facilities
- picturesque scenery
- extra wide walking trails
Tips For Your Trip From Other Parents
- Familiarize yourself and your child with the exit/entry points in the playground when you arrive for the first time. Go over ground rules.
- Bring the kites if it is windy. Bring bikes/scooters/strollers if you’re going to stroll. Bring a picnic to make a whole afternoon of it. Basically, bring it ALL if you choose!
- Don’t forget your camera. You’ll probably see a photo op or two while spending time here.
- Remember that you have to walk back (or do a full loop) if you find yourself wandering down the trails. Before you know it, you’ll be walking further than you planned, and if you have little legs with you, they may tire out.
- Decide where you want to park ahead of time, in the lot off of Windsor (for the playground) or the lot off of Race (for the gardens). Walking paths and restrooms are near both parking lots.
- Before this was a park, it was a family farm. Don’t miss strolling the grounds of the gardens to enjoy the farm-feel still present today.
Is this park good for toddlers?
Yes! It rates as one of our “Best Parks for Babies and Toddlers” in Champaign-Urbana.
What amenities are offered?
Meadowbrook Park offers many amenities, including:
- The largest play structure in the Urbana Park District
- Three miles of 10 foot wide paved trails
- Organic garden plots community members can rent
- 80 acres of a recreated tallgrass prairie
- Wide open field, perfect for kite flying
- Tree grove, sensory garden and herb garden to stroll through
- Sculptures located along paved walking path
- Picnic tables, grills and rentable pavilions
How are the bathrooms?
There are two bathrooms, one located near each parking area. Both will serve you well.
Are there picnic tables and grills?
Yes and yes! And if you’re looking to rent a larger pavilion, those are available through the Park District, too.
Is there any shade?
Yes, you’ll be pleasantly surprised by how shaded the walking trails are. You’ll feel like you’re deep in the woods somewhere, when really you’re just footsteps away from the heart of C-U. There are also some stretches that are in the full sun, so be prepared for that as well. While the playground is technically not very shaded, it is so tall and uniquely designed that you will be partially shaded while supervising your kids.
When is this park open?
Dawn to dusk.
What is parking like?
The parking areas are not gated. You can park in one of two parking lots. There is the parking lot off of Windsor (for the playground) or the lot off of Race (for the gardens). Both have access to walking trails and restrooms nearby.
How do you get there?
More posts featuring Meadowbrook Park:
- Best Parks for Babies and Toddlers in Champaign-Urbana
- How to Get a Garden Plot in Champaign-Urbana
- 75 Champaign-Urbana Date Night Ideas
- Best Kept Secret: Todd Frahm Sculptures
- Best Kept Secret: Kid-Approved Sculptures in Champaign-Urbana
More on all your favorite outdoor activities:
- Gardens and Flower Farms in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Where to Go Boating with Your Family Near Champaign-Urbana
- Hiking Trails For Families in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Walking Paths in Champaign-Urbana
- Visiting Champaign-Urbana Area Parks and Playgrounds with your Family
- Fishing Fun for Families in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Find the Ultimate Outdoor Adventures with Kids in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Avoid the Mud and Muck with Mulch-Free Playgrounds in Champaign-Urbana
- Family-Friendly Bike Trails in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Creek Stomping Your Way Around Champaign-Urbana
- Camping with Your Family Near Champaign-Urbana
- Parks Minus Playgrounds We Love Around Champaign-Urbana
- 6 Places to Experience Nature with Kids Near Champaign-Urbana
Top spots for outdoor recreation near Champaign-Urbana:
- Dark Sky and More: Visiting the Middle Fork River Forest Preserve with Your Family
- Everything You Need to Know About Visiting River Bend Forest Preserve in Mahomet
- Cool Off at the Homer Lake Natural Playscape
- Visiting Clinton Lake With Your Family
- Visiting Imagination Grove Near Bloomington-Normal
- Meet Me Halfway: Kankakee River State Park
- Hidden Treasure in Central Illinois: Weldon Springs State Park
- The Perfect Family Hike: Explore the Sangamon River Forest Preserve near Fisher
- Best Kept Secret: Buffalo Trace Prairie in Mahomet
- Getaway for a Day: Matthiessen State Park
- Best Kept Secret: Forest Glen Preserve
- Hiking the Sangamon River Corridor Reserve in Monticello with your Family
- What to Do at Kickapoo State Recreation Area
- What To Do At Turkey Run State Park With Your Family
- Everything You Need To Know about Visiting Homer Lake Forest Preserve with Your Family
- What To Do At Moraine View State Recreation Area With Your Family
- Visiting Lake of the Woods in Mahomet with Children
- 8 Reasons You’ll Love Visiting Allerton Park with Your Family
- Parent’s Guide to Busey Woods in Urbana