Take a road trip to Bloomington-Normal and do some hiking, creek stomping, mud-pie-making and more at Imagination Grove
Located outside the Sugar Grove Nature Center at Funks Grove, Imagination Grove is beckoning your family to visit
If you want to get your kids outside (and don’t mind some dirt and mud), Imagination Grove is calling your name. This outdoor natural playscape was built with accessibility, convenience, and hands-on considerations that encourage your kids to get dirty and have fun, while also preserving the natural area surrounding the playscape. Read on to find out why we think a visit to Imagination Grove is reason all by itself to drive over near Bloomington-Normal.
Imagination Grove is the natural playscape located outside of the Sugar Grove Nature Center in Historic Funks Grove, a wooded grove along Route 66 known for its history with maple syrup. On our visit we stuck to exploring Imagination Grove, knowing we’d have to return to see more of the natural areas to explore surrounding it.
You’re going to want to enter Sugar Grove Nature Center (in McLean) into your navigation to get to the area. It takes just under an hour from Champaign-Urbana. Take I-74 west to Bloomington-Normal and then switch to I-55 south for a short few miles. Once you leave the interstate, you’ll have a few more miles to drive along Route 66 before you arrive. Park near Sugar Grove Nature Center, as this is also where you will find bathrooms (no running water, so bring that hand sanitizer) while you’re visiting.
Finding Imagination Grove
From the parking lot, you’ll see a few different directions you can go for a hike. If you’re feeling like a good short walk in the woods, you can follow the signs for the yellow trail and you will take a 0.8-mile hike that lands you at Imagination Grove. For the rest of us that want to take the shortest path possible to get to the destination, look for the covered (walking) bridge that says Imagination Grove. You can see it just beyond the parking lot. This is the shortest path to get there.
A Natural Playscape Awaits
As soon as you cross the bridge, get ready for your kids to run off until you drag them back to the car hours from now. Creek stomping is an immediate draw here, so if you’re going to let your kids get wet, make sure you have the right shoes and change of clothes for that activity.
This is a very toddler-friendly excursion with one exception — the ladders. Our elementary-age kids were scurrying up and down them when we first arrived and admittedly, they made me a little nervous. Again, decide for yourself if you will let your kids try these themselves. But if you do, they’ll be begging you to take their picture at the top as it feels like they’ve climbed Mount Everest.
The “clubhouse” is stocked with pots, pans and other supplies for perfect mud-pie-making fun. This is the part where you get to sit back and relax as your kids play with mud, sand and other perfectly dirty parts of the playscape. There are benches and tree stumps throughout and if you have a stroller with you, you’ll still be able to push it around this area easily. It is located next to the creek, so our kids were busy getting water and lugging it back to the clubhouse for their creations.
Again, creek stomping is a real draw here. This playscape was built along the creek to encourage creek stomping and we even saw some adults on a hike stepping into the creek themselves to enjoy. During the springtime, you can find many crayfish here and we expect frogs and other creatures to be here later in the summer, too. Out of all the places we’ve gone creek stomping, this one surely lands in the top three and might even be our family’s favorite yet.
Trails are well maintained here and you can pick a nice short hike from the playscape if you wish. Hopping on the yellow trail here will take you on that loop back towards the parking lot (the long way, that is) and will have you wandering past wildflowers and underneath many old trees.
Imagination Grove gets two big thumbs up and we think it is worth the drive from Champaign-Urbana. Pack a picnic (and a change of clothes) and head over there for a fun and easy day trip idea!
More on all your favorite outdoor activities:
- Gardens and Flower Farms in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Where to Go Boating with Your Family Near Champaign-Urbana
- Hiking Trails For Families in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Walking Paths in Champaign-Urbana
- Visiting Champaign-Urbana Area Parks and Playgrounds with your Family
- Fishing Fun for Families in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Find the Ultimate Outdoor Adventures with Kids in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Avoid the Mud and Muck with Mulch-Free Playgrounds in Champaign-Urbana
- Family-Friendly Bike Trails in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Creek Stomping Your Way Around Champaign-Urbana
- Camping with Your Family Near Champaign-Urbana
- Parks Minus Playgrounds We Love Around Champaign-Urbana
- 6 Places to Experience Nature with Kids Near Champaign-Urbana
Top spots for outdoor recreation near Champaign-Urbana:
- Dark Sky and More: Visiting the Middle Fork River Forest Preserve with Your Family
- Everything You Need to Know About Visiting River Bend Forest Preserve in Mahomet
- Cool Off at the Homer Lake Natural Playscape
- Visiting Clinton Lake With Your Family
- Visiting Imagination Grove Near Bloomington-Normal
- Meet Me Halfway: Kankakee River State Park
- Hidden Treasure in Central Illinois: Weldon Springs State Park
- The Perfect Family Hike: Explore the Sangamon River Forest Preserve near Fisher
- Best Kept Secret: Buffalo Trace Prairie in Mahomet
- Getaway for a Day: Matthiessen State Park
- Best Kept Secret: Forest Glen Preserve
- Hiking the Sangamon River Corridor Reserve in Monticello with your Family
- What to Do at Kickapoo State Recreation Area
- What To Do At Turkey Run State Park With Your Family
- Everything You Need To Know about Visiting Homer Lake Forest Preserve with Your Family
- What To Do At Moraine View State Recreation Area With Your Family
- Visiting Lake of the Woods in Mahomet with Children
- 8 Reasons You’ll Love Visiting Allerton Park with Your Family
- Parent’s Guide to Busey Woods in Urbana
Some ideas on trips you can take with your family:
- Road Trip: Visiting Indianapolis as a Family
- Best Midwest Summer Road Trips for Champaign-Urbana Families
- 31+ Unique Summer Day Trips from Champaign-Urbana
- Midwest Indoor Waterparks Within a Few Hours of Champaign-Urbana
- Winter Road Trip: Visiting Ice Castles at Lake Geneva, Wis.
- Visiting the Arthur Amish Area with Kids
- Spend a Saturday in Tuscola
- Peaches Aplenty at Okaw Valley Orchard
- Visiting the Indoor Waterpark at Grand Bear Resort Near Starved Rock
- How to Rent a Boat on Lake Shelbyville with your Family
- Road Trip: Visit St. Louis as a Family
- Visiting Imagination Grove Near Bloomington-Normal
- Road Trip: Visiting Wisconsin Dells
- Day Trip from Champaign-Urbana: Living Large in Casey
- Head North for Family Fun: What To Do On Your Chicago Trip
- An Insider’s Guide to a Springfield Getaway
- Effingham, a Trip to the Crossroads
- Winter Break Day Trip: Family Fun in Peoria
- Travel Back in Time at Lincoln Log Cabin