Make family memories at Christmas tree farms near Champaign-Urbana — and other places to buy a live Christmas tree in the Champaign-Urbana area
There is nothing quite like heading to a Champaign-Urbana area Christmas tree farm to pick out the perfect Christmas tree. Whether you want to head out to the field and cut your own Christmas tree or you prefer to choose from a selection of fresh cut Christmas trees, our handy guide will help you find the best Christmas tree farms near you. And many of the area farms offer unique experiences to make your visit even more memorable!
Thank you to Prairie Gardens for presenting this list. Christmas is coming to Prairie Gardens! Festive and fresh greens have arrived! We have a great selection of wreaths, roping, boughs, bunches and swags, porch pots, and trees!
A few tips before you go out to get your live Christmas tree:
– Some farms only take cash or checks, so be prepared.
– Please note, trees sell out. Go early for the best selection.
– Some places allow dogs, but remember to ask if you’re not sure.
– Some places allow you to cut your own tree; others do it for you. Most do not allow chainsaws.
– Tree farms can be difficult to find, so do your research and bring your sense of humor. We’ve provided links to help you out. Get your GPS ready and go find the perfect tree.
– Dress appropriately!
– Be on the look out for this year’s updated information about how to recycle that live Christmas tree.
PLACES TO CUT YOUR OWN TREE NEAR CHAMPAIGN-URBANA:
Forest Hills Tree Farm, Danville: After not opening at all in 2020, in 2021 they will be open on two Saturdays — November 27th and December 4th — from 10 am – 4 pm.
Pick and cut down your own tree – saws are provided. They accept cash, check, and credit (credit adds a surcharge). Scotch Pine Christmas Trees ~ $40 Any size – Table top, Family or Grand Entry (11-15ft). DONE FOR 2021
Hardy’s Reindeer Ranch, Rantoul:
Hardy’s Reindeer Ranch has choose-and-cut Christmas trees, as well as Fraser from North Carolina and Douglas Fir, Scotch and White Pine from Indiana. They have saws, a tree shaker and baler for your convenience. They have announced that they have a very limited number of trees this year and will begin selling trees on Friday, November 26, staying open until 8 p.m. that night. Check the website for hours. Of course, you can see some reindeer while you’re there! SOLD OUT FOR 2021
Helmig’s Tree Farm, Saybrook: Multiple varieties of choose and cut and pre-cut trees; saws are available. They will shake, bale and tie your tree to the roof of your vehicle. Pre-cut trees, wreaths, ornaments and commemorative mugs for sale as well.
Opening Day is Friday, November 26, 2021, 10am to 5pm. Then Saturday and Sundays only from November 27th-December 19th 2021; 10am to 5pm. DONE FOR 2021
Phillips Christmas Trees, Heyworth: This choose and cut Christmas tree farm located south of Bloomington recently announced they will be selling trees again in 2021. They plan to open for cutting trees the weekend before Thanksgiving, and will try to accommodate requests to tag a tree early. On Thanksgiving weekend they will be open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Would you consider driving to southern Illinois into Shawnee National Forest to cut down your own Christmas tree for only $5? Click here for all the details.
PLACES TO BUY A LIVE TREE IN CHAMPAIGN-URBANA AND BEYOND (no cutting needed):
Prairie Gardens, Champaign: A selection of fresh cut Christmas trees, including beautiful Scotch Pines, Blue Spruces, Douglas Firs and Fraser Firs; also a selection of wreaths, roping, boughs, bunches and swags, and porch pots. Check their Facebook page to check availability.
Tate’s Trees, Champaign:
Opening day is Monday, Nov. 22, open daily 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. until sell out (closed on Thanksgiving). Located north of Champaign on Mattis Avenue. Several varieties available. Offering limited delivery as well as tree pickup/recycling. SOLD OUT FOR 2021
Country Arbors Nursery, Urbana:
Pre-cut Christmas trees, greens, wreaths, grave blankets, live trees and garland available. Pre-cut trees available at the nursery starting Nov. 19. They offer online ordering (and pre-ordering, already available!) as well as $15 delivery to select zip codes. SOLD OUT FOR 2021
No Bad Days Farm, Shelbyville: Pre-cut Christmas trees available beginning Nov. 20. They have a variety of 6-7 feet, 7-8 feet and 8-9 feet Fraser Fir, Nordman, Scotch and Concolor pines. They also have fresh wreaths as well as grave pillows and blankets.
Open Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m. – dusk, as well as Friday Nov. 26. AFTER 12/11 OPEN BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
Sunset Christmas Tree Farm, Mansfield: Pre-cut Fraser and Concolor Firs ranging in size from three feet up to 12 feet, wreaths, swags, grave pillows and roping all made at the farm. Opening day is Friday, Nov. 26 and they are open 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays until sell out. Note: they do not plan to sell any choose and cut your own trees for the next few years.
PLACES NOT SELLING TREES IN 2021:
Illini Foresters, Urbana: This sale did not happen in 2020 and also will not happen in 2021. In past years they have sold a small number of trees at Race and Windsor in Urbana. Tree sales typically started in early December until sell out. Check the NRES Facebook page.
C-U Optimist Club, Champaign: The Optimist Club did not hold their sale in sales in 2020 or 2021. In past years, they sold trees under a tent at the corner of Springfield and Mattis (Country Fair shopping center). Tree sales typically started after Thanksgiving until sell out. Proceeds benefited events, programs and charities that serve local children.
Did we leave your favorite tree farm off our list? Do you have a tree buying tip that our readers need to know? Let us know!
Everything Holiday Season In and Around Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Eat on Christmas in Champaign-Urbana
- Meals with Santa Claus in Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Find Santa Claus in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- 50+ Experience Gift Ideas for Kids in Champaign-Urbana
- Amazing Christmas Lights Around Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Live Nativity Displays in Champaign-Urbana
- Holiday Lights at the Zoo: Where to Drive From Champaign-Urbana
- How to Chop Down Your Own Christmas Tree in the Shawnee National Forest – For $5 (or Less)
- Home for the Holidays: Shopping and Eating Locally in Champaign-Urbana
- Botanical Garden at Lake of the Woods to Illuminate during Holidays for First Time
- 8+ Great Places to See Holiday Lights in Central Illinois
- All Aboard: Polar Express Fun (Beyond the Train) in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Area Holiday Events and Activities
- Where to Buy a Live Christmas Tree Near Champaign-Urbana
- Christmas Parades near Champaign-Urbana
- German Christmas Market Returns to Riggs Beer Company in Urbana
- What You Need to Know About the Walk-Through Holiday Lights at Allerton Park