Wondering What to Do in Mahomet? There’s More than Meets the Eye
Central Illinois is full of towns with a great collection of family-friendly activities. In proximity to Champaign-Urbana, we think Mahomet is one such town. Whether you’re visiting Mahomet for part of the day, passing through on a longer road trip or even considering moving to this small town, we’ve got a list of things to do with your kids to make your visit worthwhile.
What to Do: Top Three Outdoor Picks
The community of Mahomet wraps around a nearly 900-acre forest preserve called Lake of the Woods. With lots of ground to explore, miles of walking and biking trails and plenty of places to fish, Mahomet is not lacking in outdoor activities.
- Head to Lake of the Woods Forest Preserve to take a walk. Lake of the Woods is full of trails, and is connected to even more trails throughout the community. These paths are great for strollers, scooters, bikes and more and are well paved and nicely shaded. You’ll see lots of sights and critters along the way, if you’re lucky — a perfect place for a good long walk as a family. You can do other things in Lake of the Woods, like play Foot Golf as a family, fish, or go creek stomping, too!
- Play at any one of Mahomet’s great playgrounds. Our favorite playground is Bridle Leash Park located right in the middle of Mahomet. Be prepared to walk a short distance from the parking lot to the actual playground and bring your water bottles and sunscreen for this great (sunny!) park.
- Pick up some worms and go fishing at River Bend Forest Preserve. While you can certainly fish at the more popular Lake of the Woods, River Bend Forest Preserve is a best-kept secret kind of spot to go fishing. You can either fish off the nice docks near the parking lot or take your gear and hike on some grassy trails around the lake to find a quieter spot. Like paddleboarding or kayaking? These are other great activities to do at River Bend.
What to Do: Top Two Indoor Picks
Mahomet is a pretty outdoorsy community but of course there are options to hang out indoors, too. If you are looking for some indoor entertainment, here are our recommendations.
- Visit the Mahomet Public Library, even if you’re not local or a library cardholder. The children’s area is tucked in the back of the library and has some nice reading nooks that kids of all ages will enjoy with you.
- Head over to Museum of the Grand Prairie. It’s FREE! Experience what life was like through different historical periods of time with hands-on, educational activities. Also, if you’re an Abraham Lincoln fan, you can get up close with lots of Lincoln-themed exhibits while you’re there.
Where to Eat
- Mahomet is the proud home of a deliciously authentic Mexican restaurant named Breaking Taco. Whether tacos, nachos, burritos or gorditas are your dish of choice, Breaking Taco will have you covered. Parents 21 and over may choose to enjoy one of the best margaritas you can find in or around Champaign-Urbana, and yes, there’s a small kids’ menu for those children who may be less than excited by the Mexican fare served here.
- Mahomet loves its sweet treats, and beyond Yo-Yo’s and its fro-yo, the town is home to Lucky Moon Pies and More. The tiniest little bakery you’ll ever visit offers all kinds of delicious treats, Wednesday-Saturday mornings and afternoons. You can even order dinner to cook at home with things like chicken pot pies, calzones or beef and noodles. Call in advance to reserve a whole pie or stop in to try just a slice or something else from the bakery case.
Some ideas on trips you can take with your family:
- How to Rent a Boat on Lake Shelbyville with your Family
- Road Trip: Visit St. Louis as a Family
- Visiting Imagination Grove Near Bloomington-Normal
- Best Midwest Summer Road Trips for Champaign-Urbana Families
- Road Trip: Visiting Wisconsin Dells
- Midwest Indoor Waterparks Within a Few Hours of Champaign-Urbana
- Day Trip from Champaign-Urbana: Living Large in Casey
- 20+ Unique Summer Day Trips from Champaign-Urbana
- Head North for Family Fun: What To Do On Your Chicago Trip
- An Insider’s Guide to a Springfield Getaway
- A Whole New (Old) World: Exploring the Arthur Amish Area with Kids
- Effingham, a Trip to the Crossroads
- Winter Break Day Trip: Family Fun in Peoria
- Travel Back in Time at Lincoln Log Cabin