Christmas lights synchronized to music are always a hit and this year’s show on Red Bud Court in Mahomet is better than ever
Take a short drive from Champaign-Urbana and be ready to park and watch the show for several minutes with your family
The Hodges family in Mahomet are seasoned pros when it comes to setting Christmas lights to holiday music. But this year’s show truly delivers bigger and better than any year we can remember.
And driving around to see Christmas lights from the safety of your own vehicle is pretty much the best thing that you can do this holiday season while practicing social distancing.
When you pull up to the small cul de sac (and pass the giant inflatable Yoda across the street), you definitely won’t miss the Hodges’ home.
First, tune your radio to 103.3 FM and for the full experience, turn off your lights. The cul de sac has plenty of room to pull over and park your car with a great view of the show.
A bit crowded on Red Bud Court? Head over to the Superhero house, another favorite of ours first. You can see the two homes from one another, as they are both located in the Lakeview subdivision, near Lake of the Woods in Mahomet.
2020 Musical Selection
The songs chosen for 2020’s show are a great variety. The traditional “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer” was the first one we watched the whole way through. The following song was a techno-inspired version of “What Child is This” and the third one we stayed for was a hard rock version of “Jingle Bells”. Truly something for everyone and synced perfectly between lights and music.
Opportunity to Give Back
NEW this year, the Hodges family has set out a donation box, with all donations going to Mom’s Pantry in Mahomet. Mom’s Pantry provides free food, hygiene products and clothes to families in the Mahomet-Seymour community.
Visitors can drop dry goods, coats, hats or gloves in the donation box outside the Hodges home, if they would like to, during their visit to the Christmas lights display. (The Hodges family is also collecting monetary donations for Mom’s Pantry; more details can be found on their Facebook page here.)
Other fun tidbits
As you look closer at the Hodges’ lights display, you’ll find all kinds of interesting components. Look for the leg lamp from “A Christmas Story” and get a laugh in with your significant other when you mention that its box is labeled “fragil-ay.” The kids will probably ask if that’s really Santa up on the porch, as he does look quite realistic from the vantage point in your car.
Looking for more lights?
There are tons of great ones to choose from this year. While you’re in Mahomet, head over to Superhero House, which is right by Red Bud Court. The Clark Griswold house is another annual favorite in the community.
All of our favorite lights in Champaign-Urbana can be found right here. Or take a bit of a longer drive outside Champaign-Urbana to find some larger light displays.
Looking for all kinds of info for the 2020 holiday season in Champaign-Urbana?
- German Christmas Market Returns to Riggs Beer Company in Urbana
- Where to Order Your Thanksgiving Turkey in Champaign-Urbana
- What You Need to Know About the Walk-Through Holiday Lights at Allerton Park
- Wine Advent Calendars On Shelves at Champaign Costco for Holiday Season
- Parade of Lights to Return to Downtown Champaign in November
- Champaign-Urbana Holiday Meals To Go
- Amazing Christmas Lights Around Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Holiday Giving and Volunteering in Champaign-Urbana
- Holiday Food Favorites You Can Find Around Champaign-Urbana
- What You Need to Know about Hanukkah
- Where to Find Santa in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Make Memories, Not Clutter: 35+ Experience Gifts for Kids
- Christmas Parades a Short Drive from Champaign-Urbana
- Drive-Thru Holiday Events in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- 8+ Great Places to See Holiday Lights in Central Illinois
- Champaign-Urbana Area Holiday Events and Activities
- Holiday Shopping and Eating in Champaign-Urbana