Looking to make some epic holiday memories this year at home? Why not build up a gingerbread house village of your own with kits you can snag at local stores
We’ve researched where you can actually find gingerbread house kits around Champaign and Urbana that your kids will love
Are you ready for this? We’re ready for all the holiday cheer this year, especially things we can do right at home as a family. Gingerbread houses fit the bill for this year’s holiday season perfectly.
But because things can be a little, er, challenging to find this year, we weren’t sure which stores would have gingerbread house kit options in stock for 2020.
So! We hit the online shopping search button for many local stores (and happened upon a couple well stocked at local stores, too) and want to share the scoop with you. Even if you don’t plan to build a gingerbread house for weeks still, we recommend getting the one you want sooner rather than later so you’re all ready.
And while some of our searching involved online browsing (hello, curbside), ALL of the options listed in this post are places we know of that had the gingerbread houses we feature right on their shelves when we wrote this article.
Of course, inventory can change at any time, so shop early for best selection. .
Without further delay, here is where you can find a gingerbread house kit in Champaign-Urbana for your family:
- Costco‘s pre-built gingerbread mansion ($11.89)
This creation comes with obvious points because it is already assembled! No need to wrestle with the hot glue gun to stick together what frosting doesn’t want to hold. You get over a pound of icing and goodies to decorate with and enjoy the fun part. At less than $12, this sounds like a pretty stellar way to level-up the gingerbread decorating and level-down the stress around said tradition.
- Wilton’s build-it-yourself line at Meijer ($4.99-$24.99)
The Wilton line is well-known for quality cake/cookie decorating products, so we like to find out which local stores are carrying the Wilton products. Whether you want a traditional house or something different like a doghouse or camper, OR a complete village of gingerbread homes, Meijer has you covered (we checked on Prospect Ave. in Champaign). They also have some ready-to-decorate versions, including an adorable barn.
- Target’s Wondershop line-up ($2.99-$19.99)
Target wins for most impressive in-store aisle display chock full of gingerbread house options. There are TONS to pick from. So if everyone wants to do their own mini-house ($2.99 each) or you want to spring for the $19.99 mansion to work on, there’s something for every price point. Other options we saw on the shelves: football stadium, camper, winter chalet and others, just to name a few. Like Meijer, a pre-built option was in the line-up, too.
- Trolls Gingerbread House Kit at Bed Bath and Beyond ($14.99)
Have a Trolls fan? This brightly colored house will be a treat! Build-it-yourself style, there’s even a gummy shaped like Poppy included. Don’t delay on this one – Bed Bath and Beyond also had Oreo and M&Ms houses but they’re already sold out.
- Minions Gingerbread House Kit at Farm and Fleet ($9.99)
Along the same line as Trolls, if you have a Minions fan, head over to Farm and Fleet soon and get your gingerbread house. They have a cute Elf on the Shelf branded house, too, and some of the Wilton products we see at Meijer.
Looking for all kinds of info for the 2020 holiday season in Champaign-Urbana?
- Champaign-Urbana Holiday Meals To Go
- Amazing Christmas Lights Around Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Holiday Giving and Volunteering in Champaign-Urbana
- Holiday Food Favorites You Can Find Around Champaign-Urbana
- What You Need to Know about Hanukkah
- Where to Find Santa in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Make Memories, Not Clutter: 35+ Experience Gifts for Kids
- Christmas Parades a Short Drive from Champaign-Urbana
- Drive-Thru Holiday Events in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- 8+ Great Places to See Holiday Lights in Central Illinois
- Champaign-Urbana Area Holiday Events and Activities
- Holiday Shopping and Eating in Champaign-Urbana