Make Family Memories with Our Holiday Bucket List
From Christmas experiences kids will never forget to all the Champaign-Urbana holiday family fun you’ve been waiting for: Don’t miss a thing with our Our Holiday Bucket List.
Brought to you by The Nutcracker, Champaign Urbana Ballet‘s time-honored family tradition coming this December for four days of holiday fun, Dec. 5- 8. Click here for more information, including show times and ticket info. Make holiday memories with your family at The Nutcracker at Urbana’s Krannert Center for the Performing Arts. To purchase tickets, click here.
If you are on Pinterest, you’ve seen those “Holiday Bucket List” pins. They are a list of fun activities to see, do, or complete with your kids during the holiday season. You could think of them as a laundry list of more things you need to fit in during the holiday season, or like us, you can pick and choose from the events listed to add more local fun to your celebrations and, ideally, less stress.
| Holiday Events and Activities | Polar Express Fun in Champaign-Urbana | Christmas Parades Around Champaign-Urbana and Beyond | Phone Calls and Letters from Santa | Meals with Santa | Pet Photos with Santa | Where to Find Santa | Area Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremonies | Christmas Tree Farms Near Champaign-Urbana |
Because it’s hard to run through your mental checklist of things you have yet to get done for the holidays while making a snow angel on the quad, or while taking your favorite and your best to the indoor snow globe.
We’ve made up Champaign-Urbana bucket lists before, so we thought it was time we make up our own Holiday Bucket List, Champaign-Urbana Style!
35 fun things to do before Christmas in Champaign-Urbana
1) See The Nutcracker at Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, with shows Dec.5-Dec.8. This isn’t any old performance of The Nutcracker. It’s a feast for the eyes thanks to the talented cast and a delight to the ears thanks to the live orchestra. Recommended for ages 5 and up.
2) Catch a holiday classic at the Virginia Theatre or watch a holiday TV show. Extra points awarded if it is one you watched as a child.
5) Encourage your budding design gurus to make a Gingerbread House.
6) Learn to play a new board game during family game night.
7) Check out holiday books from a local library. Stick around for a holiday-themed story hour or party.
9) Go caroling with you family in your neighborhood. If caroling isn’t your thing, attend a local Christmas music sign-a-long or holiday concert/show. Check back soon to see our Holiday Performances Guide.
10) Walk in a Winter Wonderland: Go on a winter hike at The Museum of the Grand Prairie.
11) Take your little ones to Shop at the Crisis Nursery Holiday Shop.
13) Put the kiddos in the jammies and drive around to look at holiday lights. Up the fun anti with our Amazing Holiday Lights guide, coming soon. For more of a drive, check out our Central Illinois Lights Trail, coming soon.
14) Write a letter to Santa, or register for a free phone call or letter from Santa.
15) Get in the Christmas spirit and take in the twinkling lights at the Festival of Trees.
16) Create a new tree tradition! Pick out a live tree or cut your own at these locations around Champaign-Urbana.
17) Donate a toy during our local toy drives, volunteer at the Eastern Illinois Food Bank, or adopt a family and shop for them.
18) Visit the IDEA store to source materials to make you own paper, make your own snow globe, make your own presents, make a paper wreath, and make some fun!
19) Watch a Christmas Parade. Bring some blankets and a Thermos of hot chocolate!
24) Visit the Orpheum Snow Globe.
25) See the reindeer at Hardy’s Reindeer Ranch.
27) Shop Local for a Christmas gift for your partner with the kiddos. Check back for our Shop Local Guide, coming soon!
28) Dine with Santa. Breakfast or brunch – so many options!
Bonus Activities: Snow Required!
30) Make snow angels on the Quad.
31) Go sledding at Homer Lake.
32) Make a snowman in the yard. Paint him or her orange and blue.
33) Have an epic snowball fight after building a snow fort.
34) Catch a fresh snowflake on your tongue.
35) Go for a snowy walk at Meadowbrook Park.
Reminder: This is in no way to add to your holiday stress. It is merely a guide for fun, and should not be used to measure your holiday parenting skills. We know you’re a good Chambanamom (and dad)! Want more ideas? Subscribe to our Ho Ho Holidays Newsletter. Want more ideas for holiday (or everyday) fun? Check out our Events Guide.