Champaign County Forest Preserve District brings ‘Night Lights’ back to Lake of the Woods in Mahomet
As the biggest fans of holiday lights in Central Illinois, we jumped up when we saw the Champaign County Forest Preserve District announce it would be bringing back its holiday lights display in the garden for the third year in a row. Find out what you need to know about visiting the now-favorite holiday season destination for many Champaign-Urbana area families.
The Mabery Gelvin Botanical Garden at Lake of the Woods is open to the public free of charge year-round. We visit to take prom pictures in front of the waterfall or watch the beautiful koi swim under the red bridge. We sit our kids in front of the seasonally decorated wagon during fall, just basking in the beauty we have here in Champaign County.
This holiday season the garden will be illuminated for the third annual “Night Lights.” Beginning Friday, Nov. 24, the garden will be brimming with light on Friday and Saturday evenings from 4-8 p.m. through Dec. 23.
Must Know Info
When: Friday and Saturday evenings, 4-8 p.m., Nov. 24 through Dec. 23. A special encore illumination on Sunday, Dec. 24 from 4-8 p.m.
Where: Mabery Gelvin Botanical Garden at Lake of the Woods, Mahomet
How much: Free
Some guidance from the Champaign County Forest Preserve for your visit to “Night Lights:”
Enter Lake of the Woods Forest Preserve from Rt. 47 and park in the Museum of the Grand Prairie parking lot, follow the lighted path. The estimated walkthrough is 15-20 minutes. Please keep in mind that Lake of the Woods Forest Preserve will close at 5 p.m.; if arriving after 5 p.m., you will not be able to drive through from Lake of the Woods Road.
Everything Holiday Season In and Around Champaign-Urbana
- How to Have a Family-Friendly New Year’s Eve in Champaign-Urbana
- 5 Things to Do on Christmas Day in Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Eat on Christmas in Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Order Holiday Meals and Treats in Champaign-Urbana
- A Beloved University of Illinois Tradition Sings On: Dial-A-Carol Goes Live Dec. 7
- Amazing Christmas Lights Around Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- What You Need to Know About Chanukah
- Chanukah in Champaign-Urbana: What, When and Where to Shop
- 10+ Reasons to Visit Chicago During the Holiday Season
- Champaign-Urbana Holiday Bucket List: 35 Things To Do Before Christmas
- 10+ Things to Do in Indianapolis for a Holiday Getaway
- Holiday Giving and Volunteering in Champaign-Urbana
- All Aboard: Polar Express Fun (Beyond the Train) in Champaign-Urbana
- Live Nativity Displays in Champaign-Urbana
- Zoo Lights: Where to Drive From Champaign-Urbana
- 50+ Experience Gift Ideas for Kids in Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Buy a Live Christmas Tree Near Champaign-Urbana
- 8 Great Places to See Holiday Lights in Central Illinois
- Where to Find Santa Claus in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Home for the Holidays: Shopping and Eating in Champaign-Urbana
- Holiday Season Parades in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Champaign-Urbana Area Holiday Events and Activities
- Champaign-Urbana Area Christmas Shows, Concerts, Performances and More