There is something special about the tradition of a German Christmas market and we look forward to visiting Urbana’s very own again this year
Last year’s German Christmas Market at Riggs in Urbana was a highlight of the season and we can’t wait to visit again. This tradition has quickly turned into a Champaign-Urbana area favorite.
For the first time in 2019, Matt Riggs and his wife Caroline, part of the ownership family of Riggs Beer Company, constructed and opened a German Christmas market at the Urbana store.
The traditional huts that are characteristic of German Christmas markets truly make the experience. Not only do they provide a beautiful backdrop for the experience but, by being stacked closely together, they block the wind to help keep visitors warmer than if the winter winds were blowing right across the open fields.
This year’s food lineup includes “sweet and savory crepes” along with bratwurst, candied roasted nuts, hot spiced wine and more. This is “very much what you would find at a German Christmas market in Germany,” according to Riggs.
The market gets bigger and better every year, and this year’s lineup seems to align with that thought. Food vendors include* Watson’s Shack & Rail, F & T Desserts, and CK Almonds. Some of the vendors you will find are Mack Glass, Norden/Pipapo, Farm to Wick, Grant Street Woodworks and Delight Flower Farm.
*Vendors vary from day to day and specific time slots. Please check the schedule before heading out if you want to catch a specific vendor.
Must Know Info
When: Four weekends between Thanksgiving and Christmas
- Opening Friday, Nov. 24
- Thursdays and Fridays, 5-8 p.m.
- Saturdays and Sundays, noon-7 p.m.
Where: Riggs Beer Company, 1901 S. High Cross Road, Urbana
How much: There is no fee to get in – “just come and be merry,” they say.
Follow Riggs Taproom on Facebook for more announcements about the German Christmas Market.
Everything Holiday Season In and Around Champaign-Urbana
- What You Need to Know About Chanukah
- Chanukah in Champaign-Urbana: What, When and Where to Shop
- 10+ Reasons to Visit Chicago During the Holiday Season
- Champaign-Urbana Holiday Bucket List: 35 Things To Do Before Christmas
- 10+ Things to Do in Indianapolis for a Holiday Getaway
- Holiday Giving and Volunteering in Champaign-Urbana
- All Aboard: Polar Express Fun (Beyond the Train) in Champaign-Urbana
- Live Nativity Displays in Champaign-Urbana
- Zoo Lights: Where to Drive From Champaign-Urbana
- 50+ Experience Gift Ideas for Kids in Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Buy a Live Christmas Tree Near Champaign-Urbana
- 8 Great Places to See Holiday Lights in Central Illinois
- Where to Find Santa Claus in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Home for the Holidays: Shopping and Eating in Champaign-Urbana
- Holiday Season Parades in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Champaign-Urbana Area Holiday Events and Activities
- Champaign-Urbana Area Christmas Shows, Concerts, Performances and More