Our list of when Champaign-Urbana area pools change their hours and close for the season
It’s that time of year, friends. Yellow buses will be filling the streets, the sun will be setting earlier and the college students will come flooding back to town.
That also means that Champaign-Urbana area pools will be changing hours as their workforce heads back to school. Here’s what that means for you at Champaign-Urbana area pools.
Sholem Aquatic Center, Champaign
When: Sholem will be closing at the conclusion of the weekend before Unit 4 returns to school, which means that Aug. 13 will be the last day it is open in 2023.
What to Know: Limited staff availability may cause the facility to close some attractions, such as the lazy river or slides. To avoid kid disappointment, call ahead (217-398-2581).
Crystal Lake Family Aquatic Center, Urbana
When: Reduced hours start Aug. 16 and run through Sept. 4. Open swim Monday to Friday is 4-7 p.m. Open swim on weekends is 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Diving well will be closed 6-7 p.m. on Monday and Wednesday.The waterslides or other areas may need to be closed, based on staff shortages.
Anything else? Lap swimming is still available daily. Check the website for times.
Hap Parker Family Aquatic Center, Rantoul
Beginning Aug. 14, it will be open for weekends only. Hours will be 1-6 p.m., Saturday and Sunday, with the final day for the season on Monday, Sept. 4 from 1-6 p.m. (Labor Day).
The Tuscola pool usually closes when Tuscola CUSD #301 heads back to school.
Monticello Family Aquatic Center will close for the season on Tuesday, Aug. 15.
Stephens Family YMCA, Champaign
When: The Y annually closes its pools for cleaning toward the end of each summer. 2023 dates coming soon, but probably right around the time Unit 4 heads back to school.
Why: This is an annual event and is necessary to perform routine maintenance on the pools and pool area.
Summer in Champaign-Urbana:
- Fall Fun in Chicago: Free Days at the Best Museums
- End of Summer Pool Closings and Hour Changes
- Champaign County Fair Fun for Families: Preview, Highlights, Tips and Ways to Save
- Where to See a Baseball Game Near Champaign-Urbana
- How to Celebrate Juneteenth Around Champaign-Urbana
- Blueberry Picking Near Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Go Boating with Your Family Near Champaign-Urbana
- Summer Parades in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Champaign-Urbana Area Fourth of July FIREWORKS!
- Splash Pads Around Champaign-Urbana
- Beaches Within a Short Driving Distance of Champaign-Urbana
- Strawberry Picking Near Champaign-Urbana
- Summer Fun in Chicago: Free Days at the Best Museums
- Best Midwest Summer Road Trips for Champaign-Urbana Families
- How to Celebrate the Fourth of July in Champaign-Urbana
- 7 Great Summer Festivals in Central Illinois
- Champaign-Urbana Area Summer Reading Programs
- Champaign-Urbana Area Summer Fairs and Festivals
- 50+ Ways to Have Summer Fun on a Budget In and Around Champaign-Urbana
- Free and Cheap Outdoor Movies in Champaign-Urbana
- Swim Teams in Champaign-Urbana
- Outdoor Concerts in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Free Kids Movies Return to Savoy in Summer
- Visiting Champaign-Urbana Area Parks and Playgrounds with your Family
- Farmers Markets in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Summer Fun for Families in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Area Swimming Pools
- Things to Do for Teens (and Tweens) This Summer in Champaign-Urbana
- Fishing Fun for Families in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Where to Take Swim Lessons in Champaign-Urbana
- Season Pool Passes On Sale in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Summer Camps for Kids