Ask anyone who has shopped at Beachy’s about their experience and you’ll be ready to hop in the car and drive to Arthur yourself to check out this Amish grocery shop
Kids and adults alike enjoy a special shopping trip to Beachy’s in Arthur, less than an hour from Champaign-Urbana
A short — and scenic — drive down I-57 takes you to Beachy’s Bulk Foods, where you can pick up a wide variety of bulk food items at deeply discounted rates. Not only can you find ingredients at a great bulk rate, but it has baked goods a-plenty and a deli to serve you lunch!
We first came across Beachy’s Bulk Foods in the heart of Amish country many years ago and have continued to find ways to stop at this little gem during day trips to Arthur, Arcola or Tuscola. Beachy’s is located a short drive from famous Champaign-Urbana day trip destinations like Aikman Wildlife and Yoder’s Kitchen.
You will find Beachy’s in the farmland located about a mile and a half south of Arthur. Don’t worry, after you stop there, it is just a short few minutes to town, where you can park, walk around and hit several stores at once. There’s almost always a buggy or two parked in the lot, as the families that shop there are from the Amish community and the towns surrounding the area.
Beachy’s sells a combination of organic and non-organic food items, both at a deeply discounted rate. Products come in a variety of sizes, so you may be browsing the oatmeal aisle and find packages from 2 to 7 pounds lined up next to each other. This is a great option since your family’s needs change from time to time and you can pick the amount that seems like the best fit for your pantry shelves.
Beachy’s is also full of unique finds! A short list of favorites include several varieties of instant cappuccino, oils such as coconut and palm in a range of sizes, big bags of baking nuts, insanely affordable containers of your favorite dried herbs (dip mixes for days), any kind of flour you could wish for, jams/jellies, and sprinkles galore.
You can also shop for dairy and meats from the local farmers while you’re there. Before leaving, grab several baking pans and lids from Beachy’s (the foil ones). The Beachy’s price is cheaper than anywhere in C-U and these are perfect for taking meals to people after welcoming a baby, having surgery or just no reason at all. The frozen pizzas have caught our eye, but we haven’t tried them yet. They are far larger than your typical frozen pizza that you’d find at the grocery store.
One more note: Beachy’s has a huge selection of homeschooling materials and an entire aisle of Melissa and Doug toys. If you’re looking to get a jump on Christmas shopping, or just want to add some more workbooks to your child’s stash at home, there is plenty to choose from.
At some point in your visit (before shopping or after), you may want to grab lunch. The sandwiches are prepared with (you guessed it) freshly-baked Amish bread and are delicious! Customize your own Subway-style, but these sandwiches are nothing like you’d find at your average sandwich shop.
It’s helpful to have a list of items you would like to look for before you arrive, otherwise you could get lost for hours in the endless aisles of colored baking sugars and coolers of local cheese. If it is your first trip and you don’t necessarily know what you’re looking for, just plan plenty of time to shop around. And give your kids a budget before you head in if you’re planning to let them pick a treat or two while roaming the aisles.
Other trips you can take with your family:
- Midwest Indoor Waterparks Within a Few Hours of Champaign-Urbana
- Road Trip: Visiting Winter Realms at Lake Geneva, Wis.
- Road Trip: Visiting Indianapolis as a Family
- Best Midwest Summer Road Trips for Champaign-Urbana Families
- 31+ Unique Summer Day Trips from Champaign-Urbana
- Visiting the Arthur Amish Area with Kids
- Spend a Saturday in Tuscola
- Peaches Aplenty at Okaw Valley Orchard
- Visiting the Indoor Waterpark at Grand Bear Resort Near Starved Rock
- How to Rent a Boat on Lake Shelbyville with your Family
- Road Trip: Visit St. Louis as a Family
- Visiting Imagination Grove Near Bloomington-Normal
- Road Trip: Visiting Wisconsin Dells
- Day Trip from Champaign-Urbana: Living Large in Casey
- Head North for Family Fun: What To Do On Your Chicago Trip
- An Insider’s Guide to a Springfield Getaway
- Effingham, a Trip to the Crossroads
- Winter Break Day Trip: Family Fun in Peoria
- Travel Back in Time at Lincoln Log Cabin