Human Kinetics Park, nestled behind Martens Center in Champaign, is a small park with lots to offer
Human Kinetics Park boasts a toddler play area, a big spider web climbing structure and a splash pad.
Right behind the new Martens Center sits Human Kinetics Park, newly renovated and packed with fun for all ages.
Human Kinetics Park sits on nine acres in north Champaign, within walking distance of a number of neighborhoods. From Memorial Day to Labor Day, kiddos can enjoy the splash pad to cool down. Along with the traditional playground equipment, the park also boasts multiple courts and fields for basketball, soccer and futsal — that is, a form of indoor soccer played on a hard court without boundary lines.
The playground itself is made up of multiple brand-new structures, including the centerpiece: the massive hexagonal climbing web. Big kids and particularly brave little ones will love exploring the web and seeing how high they can climb. For those who want to stay closer to the ground, there is plenty to do, including swings, a toddler-sized clubhouse, spinners, and a group swing.
Tips for Parents
Caregivers should be aware of a couple key things when venturing to Human Kinetics Park. Parking is plentiful and located at the Martens Center. Drive all the way to the back of the lot to park closest to the park. There is some seating, including a covered pavilion with a few tables, plus some benches. Be aware that because the park is new, the trees are small and provide little shade. Come prepared with sunscreen, hats, and water bottles, especially if you don’t want to sit under the pavilion. Bathrooms are available inside the Martens Center during business hours (8 a.m.-8 p.m. during the week, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. on Saturdays, and noon to 5 p.m. on Sundays).
Is Human Kinetics Park good for toddlers?
The playground at Human Kinetics Park will make kids of all ages happy, including toddlers. There are infant/toddler swings, a small clubhouse where tots can play restaurant, kitchen, or house, and of course, the splash pad. The pad itself is smaller and simpler than others across town, but perfect for cooling off just the same.
What other amenities are at Human Kinetics Park?
Human Kinetics Park offers many amenities, including:
- Basketball court
- Futsal court (enclosed)
- Walking path
- Baseball/softball field
- Splash pad
Make Human Kinetics Park part of your trip to the Martens Center! Day passes to the facility are $3 for residents and $5 for non-residents (non-walking infants are free). With a gym, track, interactive game room and more, the Martens Center has something to offer everyone.
How are the bathrooms?
Bathrooms are available inside the Martens Center. Please make sure you towel off before walking in the building if you are enjoying the splash pad.
How do I get to Human Kinetics Park?
More on all your favorite outdoor activities:
- Gardens and Flower Farms in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Where to Go Boating with Your Family Near Champaign-Urbana
- Hiking Trails For Families in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Walking Paths in Champaign-Urbana
- Visiting Champaign-Urbana Area Parks and Playgrounds with your Family
- Fishing Fun for Families in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Find the Ultimate Outdoor Adventures with Kids in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Avoid the Mud and Muck with Mulch-Free Playgrounds in Champaign-Urbana
- Family-Friendly Bike Trails in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Creek Stomping Your Way Around Champaign-Urbana
- Camping with Your Family Near Champaign-Urbana
- Parks Minus Playgrounds We Love Around Champaign-Urbana
- 6 Places to Experience Nature with Kids Near Champaign-Urbana
Top spots for outdoor recreation near Champaign-Urbana:
- Dark Sky and More: Visiting the Middle Fork River Forest Preserve with Your Family
- Everything You Need to Know About Visiting River Bend Forest Preserve in Mahomet
- Cool Off at the Homer Lake Natural Playscape
- Visiting Clinton Lake With Your Family
- Visiting Imagination Grove Near Bloomington-Normal
- Meet Me Halfway: Kankakee River State Park
- Hidden Treasure in Central Illinois: Weldon Springs State Park
- The Perfect Family Hike: Explore the Sangamon River Forest Preserve near Fisher
- Best Kept Secret: Buffalo Trace Prairie in Mahomet
- Getaway for a Day: Matthiessen State Park
- Best Kept Secret: Forest Glen Preserve
- Hiking the Sangamon River Corridor Reserve in Monticello with your Family
- What to Do at Kickapoo State Recreation Area
- What To Do At Turkey Run State Park With Your Family
- Everything You Need To Know about Visiting Homer Lake Forest Preserve with Your Family
- What To Do At Moraine View State Recreation Area With Your Family
- Visiting Lake of the Woods in Mahomet with Children
- 8 Reasons You’ll Love Visiting Allerton Park with Your Family
- Parent’s Guide to Busey Woods in Urbana