Known for its sand pit filled with years of discarded dump trucks, Clark Park in central Champaign is a neighborhood park worth visiting
Clark Park is a quaint park nestled away in a quiet neighborhood, perfect for little ones
When beloved toy trucks have been outgrown, they find a second life at Clark Park in Champaign. This quiet, old park is situated between Prospect and Mattis, just north of the Champaign Country Club. With tennis, pickleball, and basketball courts, there’s quite a bit of space for a match between friends — but the real draw for families is the playground and sand pit.
Clark Park is a slice of Americana. Surrounded by beautiful older homes with lush gardens, it feels like you’re taking a step back in time. It’s obvious that Clark Park residents take great pride in their park, a rectangle surrounded on all sides by homes and residential streets. And it’s obvious that the park is well-loved and well-cared for.
There’s plenty of street parking for those who need to drive to Clark Park. Park benches and picnic tables make for a great home base during playtime. Lots of old trees provide plenty of shade; imagine the stories the trees could tell about the adventures of generations of children in this century-old park!
While the playground equipment itself isn’t brand new, there is plenty of it and it is all in safe, working condition. Little kids will enjoy the baby swings, tot area, and wooden playhouse. Older kids will love the old-school big metal slide, spinners, tire swing, and climbing structures.
One of the highlights of the park is the legendary sand pit brimming with toy shovels, dump trucks, diggers, and more. These toys all live at the park, so be sure to help your kids say goodbye to them when it’s time to leave. It’s a paradise for any toddling truck lover — and for parents who want to buy some time to sit on a bench under a tree to read, scroll, or simply be alone for a few minutes.
Tips for Parents
Parents and caregivers will love that Clark Park is nestled in a quiet neighborhood with very little traffic; though do be careful as there is no fence around the play area. Parking is free and available on the street. There are benches and a few picnic tables for seating, and most are quite shaded. An important note: there are no public restrooms at this park so plan accordingly. As a more old-fashioned park, the ground under the play area is wood mulch, and kids might get a little messy between that and the sand pit. Bring a towel or wipes to clean up before climbing back in the car.
Is Clark Park good for toddlers?
Clark Park is a great park for little ones. There is enough smaller-sized play equipment to keep little ones entertained, but the real draw here is the huge sand pit and sand toys. Any kiddo in their “vehicle era” will adore Clark Park and beg to come back!
What other amenities are at Clark Park?
Other amenities at Clark Park include lighted tennis courts, a basketball court, a gaga ball court, a volleyball court, and grills. This park is perfect for a quiet weekday picnic or a pickleball match with a friend.
Since 1909, Clark Park has been a staple of the surrounding neighborhood. A trip to this central Champaign park takes one back in time. Make plans to visit Clark Park today!
How do I get to Clark Park?
More on all your favorite outdoor activities:
- Gardens and Flower Farms in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Where to Go Boating with Your Family Near Champaign-Urbana
- Hiking Trails For Families in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Walking Paths in Champaign-Urbana
- Visiting Champaign-Urbana Area Parks and Playgrounds with your Family
- Fishing Fun for Families in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Find the Ultimate Outdoor Adventures with Kids in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Avoid the Mud and Muck with Mulch-Free Playgrounds in Champaign-Urbana
- Family-Friendly Bike Trails in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Creek Stomping Your Way Around Champaign-Urbana
- Camping with Your Family Near Champaign-Urbana
- Parks Minus Playgrounds We Love Around Champaign-Urbana
- 6 Places to Experience Nature with Kids Near Champaign-Urbana
Top spots for outdoor recreation near Champaign-Urbana:
- Dark Sky and More: Visiting the Middle Fork River Forest Preserve with Your Family
- Everything You Need to Know About Visiting River Bend Forest Preserve in Mahomet
- Cool Off at the Homer Lake Natural Playscape
- Visiting Clinton Lake With Your Family
- Visiting Imagination Grove Near Bloomington-Normal
- Meet Me Halfway: Kankakee River State Park
- Hidden Treasure in Central Illinois: Weldon Springs State Park
- The Perfect Family Hike: Explore the Sangamon River Forest Preserve near Fisher
- Best Kept Secret: Buffalo Trace Prairie in Mahomet
- Getaway for a Day: Matthiessen State Park
- Best Kept Secret: Forest Glen Preserve
- Hiking the Sangamon River Corridor Reserve in Monticello with your Family
- What to Do at Kickapoo State Recreation Area
- What To Do At Turkey Run State Park With Your Family
- Everything You Need To Know about Visiting Homer Lake Forest Preserve with Your Family
- What To Do At Moraine View State Recreation Area With Your Family
- Visiting Lake of the Woods in Mahomet with Children
- 8 Reasons You’ll Love Visiting Allerton Park with Your Family
- Parent’s Guide to Busey Woods in Urbana