How to Celebrate the Jewish Festival of Lights in Champaign-Urbana
Call it Chanukah or Hanukkah or Hanukah; whatever the translation, the festival of lights is perhaps one of the most well known Jewish holidays in the United States – if not the world.
The Champaign-Urbana Jewish community will join Jews from around the world in celebrating. We’ve put together this article to include everything you need to know about how to observe Chanukah in Champaign-Urbana.
WHEN IS CHANUKAH?
This year, the eight-day festival of Chanukah starts the night of Sunday, Dec. 18 and continues through sundown Dec. 26; the last candle is lit in the evening of Dec. 25. Chanukah lasts for eight days and nights, however, it’s the candle lighting that is perhaps the most important part of the holiday, and that occurs at night. Just to repeat – the first night is on a Sunday, even if your calendar says that the holiday starts on Monday. All Jewish holidays start the night before what might be labeled on a secular calendar as the first day of the holiday. (Did that make sense?)
WHAT IS CHANUKAH?
Chanukah is a minor Jewish holiday that celebrates a historical military victory over intolerance. It has plenty of customs and rituals, including the lighting of a nine-branch candelabra (Hanukkiah, commonly known as a menorah). There are traditional fried foods, games, and decorations. (If you want to learn more about Chanukah, check out our popular “What You Need to Know About Chanukah” article.)
WHERE CAN I BUY CHANUKAH STUFF?
If you are looking to buy Chanukah-related merchandise for your family or for a friend, here are some suggestions for how to do so in Champaign-Urbana. If you’ve found Chanukah stuff elsewhere, let us know (firstname.lastname@example.org).
1. Shop at the Sinai Temple Gift Shop Chanukah Showcase. This is without a doubt the BEST place in Champaign-Urbana to find merchandise related to Chanukah – candles, menorahs, dreidels (spinning tops), gelt (chocolate coins) and so much more — books, crafts, gifts, decorations, etc. See hours on our events calendar. Sinai Temple is located near the corner of Windsor and Duncan Roads in southwest Champaign.
2. Champaign-Urbana area local businesses that typically have Chanukah merchandise include International Galleries at Urbana’s Lincoln Square Mall (menorahs, candles, gift wrap), Art Mart (books for kids and gelt), and Curtis Orchard. We saw some funny cards at Yellow and Company in Mahomet.
3. Big box stores. Chanukah stuff will pop up everywhere and nowhere. Some years, Target has plenty of Hanukkah chazerai (ha-zer-ay, a Yiddish word for JUNK); in 2022, not so much (sad face). In the past, we’ve also seen modest Chanukah displays at Party City, Walgreens, Meijer, and Schnucks. Harvest Market in Champaign has some adorable Chanukah trinkets.
WHAT ABOUT LOCAL CHANUKAH EVENTS?
Dec. 8, 2022: Pre-Chanukah Celebration At 3:30 p.m. join Illini Chabad, Champaign Center Partnership, and community members in a public display of unity at this menorah lighting ceremony at One Main Plaza, downtown Champaign. Following the program there will be Chanukah treats for all to enjoy.
Everything Holiday Season In and Around Champaign-Urbana
- How to Have a Family-Friendly New Year’s Eve in Champaign-Urbana
- 5 Things to Do on Christmas Day in Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Eat on Christmas in Champaign-Urbana
- A Beloved University of Illinois Tradition Sings On: Dial-A-Carol Goes Live Dec. 8
- Where to Order Holiday Meals and Treats in Champaign-Urbana
- Holiday Giving and Volunteering in Champaign-Urbana
- Amazing Christmas Lights Around Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Where to Find Santa Claus in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- All Aboard: Polar Express Fun (Beyond the Train) in Champaign-Urbana
- Meals with Santa Claus in Champaign-Urbana
- Holiday Lights at the Zoo: Where to Drive From Champaign-Urbana
- 50+ Experience Gift Ideas for Kids in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Holiday Bucket List: 35 Things To Do Before Christmas
- 10 Festive Indianapolis Destinations for a Family Holiday Getaway
- 8 Great Places to See Holiday Lights in Central Illinois
- Holiday Season Parades in and around Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Buy a Live Christmas Tree Near Champaign-Urbana
- Home for the Holidays: Shopping and Eating Locally in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Area Holiday Events and Activities
- Champaign-Urbana Area Christmas Shows, Concerts, Performances and More