Champaign County Forest Preserve District brings ‘Night Lights’ back to Lake of the Woods in Mahomet
As the biggest fans of holiday lights in Central Illinois, we jumped up when we saw the Champaign County Forest Preserve District announce it would be bringing back its holiday lights display in the garden for the second year in a row. Find out what you need to know about visiting the now-favorite holiday season destination for many Champaign-Urbana area families.
The Mabery Gelvin Botanical Garden at Lake of the Woods is open to the public free of charge year-round. We visit to take prom pictures in front of the waterfall or watch the beautiful koi swim under the red bridge. We sit our kids in front of the seasonally decorated wagon during fall, just basking in the beauty we have here in Champaign County.
This holiday season the garden will be illuminated for the second annual “Night Lights.” Beginning Friday, Nov. 25, the garden will be brimming with light on Friday and Saturday evenings from 4-8 p.m. through Dec. 31. This even includes Christmas Eve!
Must Know Info
When: Friday and Saturday evenings, 4-8 p.m., Nov. 25 through Dec. 31
Where: Mabery Gelvin Botanical Garden at Lake of the Woods, Mahomet
How much: Free
Some guidance from the Champaign County Forest Preserve for your visit to “Night Lights” (these notes are from 2021 but we expect them to apply this year):
Enter Lake of the Woods Forest Preserve from Rt. 47 and park in the Museum of the Grand Prairie parking lot, follow the lighted path. The estimated walkthrough is 15-20 minutes. Please keep in mind that Lake of the Woods Forest Preserve will close at 5 p.m.; if arriving after 5 p.m., you will not be able to drive through from Lake of the Woods Rd.
Everything Holiday Season In and Around Champaign-Urbana
- Amazing Christmas Lights Around Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Where to Find Santa Claus in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- All Aboard: Polar Express Fun (Beyond the Train) in Champaign-Urbana
- Meals with Santa Claus in Champaign-Urbana
- Holiday Lights at the Zoo: Where to Drive From Champaign-Urbana
- 50+ Experience Gift Ideas for Kids in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Holiday Bucket List: 35 Things To Do Before Christmas
- 10 Festive Indianapolis Destinations for a Family Holiday Getaway
- 25 Things to Do During Thanksgiving Break in Champaign-Urbana
- 8 Great Places to See Holiday Lights in Central Illinois
- Holiday Season Parades in and around Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Buy a Live Christmas Tree Near Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Eat Dinner on Thanksgiving in Champaign-Urbana
- Home for the Holidays: Shopping and Eating Locally in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Area Holiday Events and Activities
- Champaign-Urbana Area Christmas Shows, Concerts, Performances and More