The holiday season is full of great Christmas shows, concerts, and performances of all kinds
When you’re looking for a festive outing for your family this season, we give you all the options throughout Champaign-Urbana
If you are looking for Champaign-Urbana Christmas shows, concerts, movies and holiday performances, you’re in luck. There are many Christmas performances around Champaign, Urbana, Monticello, and other locations this November and December. Champaign-Urbana Christmas holiday performances range from single performance shows to those that run through the whole season such as plays, musicals, concerts, and of course the ballet.
Thanks to the Champaign-Urbana Ballet for presenting our holiday performances compilation.
Celebrating its 25th anniversary season, Champaign Urbana Ballet brings another season of magic with its beloved holiday classic, The Nutcracker on Dec. 1-4 at Krannert Center for the Performing Arts. Nutcracker regulars and first-timers alike can ring in the holiday season with this joyous tradition featuring intricate stagecraft with expertly designed and locally inspired scenery, beautifully hand-crafted costumes, and, as always, the artistry and athleticism of CU Ballet’s extraordinary dancers. This time-honored community tradition is a time for making memories as we wait in anticipation for the most beautiful season of the year. From the opening notes of the overture, to Clara’s farewell to her Nutcracker Prince, CU Ballet’s production of The Nutcracker is an experience you’ll treasure.
Tickets at the Krannert Center Box Office at (217) 333-6280 or online at KrannertCenter.com. Visit the Champaign Urbana Ballet website or Facebook page now.
The following list includes shows with tickets generally $15 or less (and some cases, free!) This listing includes family-friendly shows only.
The following shows are higher-cost ticket items. (For family friendliness, be sure to look at the info.)
- The Champaign Urbana Ballet presents an annual tradition, The Nutcracker, at Krannert Center for the Performing Arts Dec. 1-4. Hoffman’s timeless tale — complete with enchanted toys, a princely hero, and fanciful figures — comes to life in this showcase of community talent. This holiday tradition sparkles with exquisitely handcrafted costumes and magical moments. Recommended for ages 5 and up. Tickets on sale through Krannert Center; prices are $19 for kids 12 and under and $48 for a standard ticket.
- Based on the beloved film starring Will Farrell, “Elf The Musical” is a delightful classic sure to put anyone in the holiday spirit. Produced in collaboration with the Millikin University School of Theatre and Dance and featuring the Millikin-Decatur Symphony Orchestra, Nov. 11-13. Tickets available through the Kirkland Ticket Office; tickets range from $10 (school age) to $30.
- The Champaign-Urbana Symphony Orchestra presents Songs of the Season at Krannert Center for the Performing Arts on Dec. 7. Champaign-Urbana Symphony Orchestra’s joyous welcome to the holidays presents a delightful mix of traditional and contemporary music for the whole family to enjoy. The University of Illinois Chamber Singers and the Central Illinois Youth Chorus will join in select songs of the season, too. The finale will make spirits bright as Maestro Alltop leads a sing-along of favorite carols and the Hallelujah Chorus. Tickets on sale through Krannert Center; prices range from $10-$40.
- Cirque Dreams Holidaze is coming to the State Farm Center on Dec. 14. With an original music score, twists on holiday classics sung live, and with new sets, scenery, and storylines, this ultimate holiday gift for the entire family is sure to put a twinkle in your eye. Tickets available through the State Farm Center ticket office; ticket prices start at $29.
- Mannheim Steamroller Christmas by Chip Davis has been America’s favorite holiday tradition for over 35 years, coming to Champaign-Urbana on Dec. 21. The program celebrates the group’s recent anniversary of 35 years since the first Christmas album and includes dazzling multimedia effects performed in an intimate setting. Tickets available through the Virginia Theatre website; pricing begins at $59.50.
Looking for more? Subscribe to our Home for the Holidays Newsletter. Want more ideas for holiday (or everyday) fun? Check out our Event Calendar.
Everything Holiday Season In and Around Champaign-Urbana
- How to Have a Family-Friendly New Year’s Eve in Champaign-Urbana
- 5 Things to Do on Christmas Day in Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Eat on Christmas in Champaign-Urbana
- A Beloved University of Illinois Tradition Sings On: Dial-A-Carol Goes Live Dec. 8
- Where to Order Holiday Meals and Treats in Champaign-Urbana
- Holiday Giving and Volunteering in Champaign-Urbana
- Amazing Christmas Lights Around Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Where to Find Santa Claus in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- All Aboard: Polar Express Fun (Beyond the Train) in Champaign-Urbana
- Meals with Santa Claus in Champaign-Urbana
- Holiday Lights at the Zoo: Where to Drive From Champaign-Urbana
- 50+ Experience Gift Ideas for Kids in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Holiday Bucket List: 35 Things To Do Before Christmas
- 10 Festive Indianapolis Destinations for a Family Holiday Getaway
- 8 Great Places to See Holiday Lights in Central Illinois
- Holiday Season Parades in and around Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Buy a Live Christmas Tree Near Champaign-Urbana
- Home for the Holidays: Shopping and Eating Locally in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Area Holiday Events and Activities
- Champaign-Urbana Area Christmas Shows, Concerts, Performances and More