Central Illinois loves its fairs and festivals; here’s 8 to visit downstate
From Springfield to Mattoon, from Bloomington-Normal to Decatur, we’ve put together our list of the top eight summer festivals in Central Illinois, most of them out of our immediate coverage area. We consider summer to be between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
(Don’t worry, we have a list of Champaign-Urbana area festivals, too.)
Chambanamoms.com thanks the Champaign County Fair for presenting this guide.
The Champaign County Fair has been a tradition since the early 1850’s. At the fair you can see 4-H, Open, and Junior Open livestock and non-livestock shows, educational displays revolving around conservation and agriculture, various vendors from different businesses and organizations across the county, a carnival, and a variety of ground and grandstand entertainment. It is an event for families to come to create summertime memories that last a lifetime!
Eight Great Summer Festivals in Central Illinois
What: National Tom Sawyer Days
When: Thursday, June 30 through Monday, July 4
Where: Hannibal, Missouri (right on the Illinois border, so we’re bending the definition of “Central Illinois” for this one)
How much: coming soon
Highlights: Located right along the Mississippi River, this area is full of history all year long. The festival includes a frog-jump contest, fence painting, mud volleyball tournament, carnival rides, live music and fireworks over the river on the 4th. Find info on Facebook, too.
What: Balloons Over Vermilion
When: Friday, July 8 and Saturday, July 9
Where: Vermilion Regional Airport
How much: $5; kids under 10 free. Parking $5. Cash only.
Highlights: In years past, there have been tethered hot air balloon rides, nightly balloon glows, carnival, kids games, touch-a-truck, food vendors and more, all happening with the landscape of gorgeous hot air balloons surrounding the area. Find it on Facebook.
What: Mattoon Bagelfest
When: Tuesday, July 19 through Saturday, July 23
Where: Peterson Park at 500 Broadway Ave., Mattoon
How much: Most events free; mainstage events ticketed
Highlights: Free bagel breakfast 8-10 a.m. and Bagelfest Parade Saturday morning at 10:30 a.m.; Run for the Bagel 5K; carnival rides; mainstage acts. Find it on Facebook.
What: Lincoln’s Festival on Route 66 in Bloomington
When: UPDATE Lincoln’s Festival on Route 66 will not be held in 2022.
Where: Bloomington and surrounding locations
How much: Most events free
Highlights: Attention history buffs. Lincoln in Bloomington? Sure, why not! Children’s activities and free admission into the McLean County Museum of History, crafts and an 1858 style baseball game with the Prairie Chicken Base Ball team of McLean County. Get more info on its Facebook page as we await the announcement of the 2022 dates.
What: EffingHAM-JAM BBQ Cookoff
When: Friday, July 22 and Saturday, July 23
Where: downtown Effingham
How much: Free to attend; free live music; other entertainment may be ticketed. Food for sale.
Highlights: OK, we love the play on words here for this festival. There’s tons of BBQ — so come hungry. There are kids activities, but check the website or Facebook page for updated info when it gets closer. You can also check out list of fun things to do with kids in Effingham or go eat at Pinky’s on Lake Sara or Firefly Grill if you don’t get your fill of BBQ while at the fest.
What: Illinois State Fair
When: Thursday, Aug. 11 through Sunday, Aug. 21
Where: State fairgrounds, Springfield (directions here)
How much: Adults (13-59) — $10 Friday/Saturday, $5 other days; children (12 and under) — free; senior citizens (60 and older) — $3; vehicle parking (single day) — $5. Grandstand tickets vary.
Highlights: Check back later in the season for our Insider’s Guide to the 2022 State Fair. Big names like Demi Lovato and Brooks & Dunn are in the grandstand lineup, but it is all of the free entertainment that draws families to the fair year after year. Free children’s entertainers, free face painting, all kinds of ag education and things like pig racing and water circus are all guaranteed to delight.
What: Peoria’s Erin Feis
When: Friday, Aug. 26 through Sunday, Aug. 28
Where: Peoria riverfront
How much: Free admission between 4 and 5 p.m Friday. Otherwise, adults $9 purchased online in advance; weekend event pass $25; Children under 12 are free but must be accompanied by an adult. Free admission on Sunday (at Mass) with a canned good donation from 9:30 – 11 a.m or if you wear a kilt on Sunday.
Highlights: It’s St. Patrick’s Day in August. You don’t have to be Irish to enjoy this three-day festival which includes a variety of activities including typical fair fare like food and music; but there’s also cultural activities and an area for “wee folks” (open noon-5 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday). Don’t miss the Highland Games (Saturday and Sunday) while you’re there.
What: Balloons Over 66 Festival
When: Friday, Aug. 26 through Sunday, Aug. 28
Where: Various locations throughout Lincoln
How much: Free admission, some activities have a cost
Highlights: This festival features balloons that are launched from all over Lincoln (even some from backyards). Saturday evening’s Balloon Glow is a definite highlight. Music, food and more.
Get ready for summer in Champaign-Urbana:
- End of Summer Pool Closings and Hour Changes
- Champaign County Fair Fun for Families: Preview, Highlights, Tips and Ways to Save
- Blueberry Picking Near Champaign-Urbana
- Summer Parades in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Best Midwest Summer Road Trips for Champaign-Urbana Families
- Beaches Within a Short Driving Distance of Champaign-Urbana
- How to Celebrate Juneteenth Around Champaign-Urbana
- 8 Great Summer Festivals in Central Illinois
- Champaign-Urbana Area Fourth of July FIREWORKS!
- 50+ Ways to Have Summer Fun on a Budget In and Around Champaign-Urbana
- Summer Fun in Chicago: Free Days at the Best Museums
- Champaign-Urbana Area Summer Fairs and Festivals
- Splash Pads Around Champaign-Urbana
- Strawberry Picking Near Champaign-Urbana
- How to Celebrate the Fourth of July in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Area Outdoor Swimming Pools
- Champaign-Urbana Area Summer Reading Programs
- Where to Go Boating with Your Family Near Champaign-Urbana
- Free and Cheap Outdoor Movies in Champaign-Urbana
- Have the Ultimate Outdoor Summer with Kids in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Summer Fun for Families in Champaign-Urbana
- Farmers Markets in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Outdoor Concerts in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Free Summer Kids Movies Return to Savoy
- Where to See a Baseball Game Near Champaign-Urbana
- Visiting Champaign-Urbana Area Parks and Playgrounds with your Family
- Things to Do for Teens (and Tweens) This Summer in Champaign-Urbana
- Fishing Fun for Families in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Swim Teams in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Where to Take Swim Lessons in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Summer Camps for Kids