Urbana’s outdoor pool facility has something to offer for families with children of all ages
Waterslides for kids of all ages, multiple pools and one of the few aquatic climbing walls in the U.S. await at Crystal Lake Park Family Aquatic Center in Urbana
A pool facility has long existed at Crystal Lake Park in Urbana. However, a new aquatic facility was officially opened in the summer of 2013 and includes some super-special features you want to know about. There’s so much for families to love about this pool that we know your kids will be asking to go back again and again.
Tips For Your Trip From Other Parents
- To answer the top question families with kids of all ages will have, here’s the scoop on the waterslides. The “big slides” are for anyone 48 inches and up. One of the slides exits into a pool of 12 feet of water, so it’s important all riders are confident swimmers. Two other slides exit into a depth of 3 feet 6 inches.
- Additionally, the “treehouse” in the main activity pool has one enclosed slide and a couple other small slides that the youngest swimmers can enjoy on their visit.
- Kids age 3 and younger are always free. Once they turn 4, you’ll pay for their individual admission.
- To save a few dollars, visit after 4 p.m. or all day Tuesday. You’ll save $2-$3 per person!
- You’re welcome to bring bags or soft-sided coolers of food into Crystal Lake’s facility. There are no concessions for sale at the facility but you will find water coolers to refill your water bottles.
- Purchase a Crystal Lake Park Family Aquatic Center punch card if you think your family will visit a couple of times. 2022 rates are $8 per person for a Champaign or Urbana resident, but a five-visit pass for a resident will only run you $35. That’s a savings of $5! (Each person above the age of 3 is considered a “punch.”)
- Bring some friends and employ the buddy system. The main activity pool is located a distance away from the lap pool and the deep water climbing wall/diving board/slides. If your bigs have a buddy, you may feel more comfortable with them on the loose in the facility.
- Visit the Crystal Lake Park Family Aquatic Center website to get the scoop on days they might open late due to a swim meet or for any other relevant info.
Is this pool good for toddlers?
Yes! Absolutely. There are many, many shallow areas in which your littles can play and the treehouse is a favorite for the braver toddlers and preschoolers that just can’t wait to do the “big things” at the pool. Just watch out for the areas where the pool gradually gets deeper and could quickly be overhead for your toddling swimmer.
We also think parents will like the “wet deck” chairs while young kids play safely in shallow water right in front of you.
What amenities are offered?
Crystal Lake Park Family Aquatic Center’s amenities include:
- Trained lifeguards
- Restrooms and locker rooms, including family changing rooms
- Main activity pool featuring treehouse, vortex, “wet deck” and shaded shallow pool areas
- Lap pool with open lap lanes during all hours, and room to play water basketball during open swim
- Three large waterslides for riders 48 inches and up
- Deep water well featuring unique aquatic climbing wall, diving board and the end point for the fastest waterslide
- Snack area and streambed with water flowing over boulders for a different kind of water play experience (and a nice break from the swimming action)
Are season passes available?
Yes. In our opinion, they’re a great value if you plan to hit the pool once a week all summer long. Buy them early in the spring season (or better yet, at the end of the previous season) if you want to save as much as possible! Read all about season passes here.
Can I have a party or rent the facility?
Yes. Crystal Lake Park Family Aquatic Center can work with a variety of groups to make a successful outing possible. Contact them directly if you’re interested.
Do they offer swimming lessons?
YES! In the past, the Urbana Indoor Aquatic Center has offered swim lessons; this year, they will be at Crystal Lake Park Family Aquatic Center! Check out the program guide (pages 41-42) for all the details on 2022 swim programming.
How do I get there?
Click the map below for directions. Also, note that the Crystal Lake Park Family Aquatic Center shares a parking lot with the Anita Purves Nature Center, Busey Woods, and Friendship Grove nature playscape.
Get ready for summer in Champaign-Urbana:
- End of Summer Pool Closings and Hour Changes
- Champaign County Fair Fun for Families: Preview, Highlights, Tips and Ways to Save
- Blueberry Picking Near Champaign-Urbana
- Summer Parades in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Best Midwest Summer Road Trips for Champaign-Urbana Families
- Beaches Within a Short Driving Distance of Champaign-Urbana
- How to Celebrate Juneteenth Around Champaign-Urbana
- 8 Great Summer Festivals in Central Illinois
- Champaign-Urbana Area Fourth of July FIREWORKS!
- 50+ Ways to Have Summer Fun on a Budget In and Around Champaign-Urbana
- Summer Fun in Chicago: Free Days at the Best Museums
- Champaign-Urbana Area Summer Fairs and Festivals
- Splash Pads Around Champaign-Urbana
- Strawberry Picking Near Champaign-Urbana
- How to Celebrate the Fourth of July in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Area Outdoor Swimming Pools
- Champaign-Urbana Area Summer Reading Programs
- Where to Go Boating with Your Family Near Champaign-Urbana
- Free and Cheap Outdoor Movies in Champaign-Urbana
- Have the Ultimate Outdoor Summer with Kids in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Summer Fun for Families in Champaign-Urbana
- Farmers Markets in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Outdoor Concerts in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Free Summer Kids Movies Return to Savoy
- Where to See a Baseball Game Near Champaign-Urbana
- Visiting Champaign-Urbana Area Parks and Playgrounds with your Family
- Things to Do for Teens (and Tweens) This Summer in Champaign-Urbana
- Fishing Fun for Families in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Swim Teams in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Where to Take Swim Lessons in Champaign-Urbana
- Season Pool Passes On Sale in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Summer Camps for Kids