Where to Experience the Magic of the Polar Express in Champaign-Urbana (even if you miss the Polar Express experience in Monticello)
Do you have a Polar Express fan in your life who lives in the Champaign-Urbana area, but missed out on getting those Monticello Railway Museum Polar Express tickets when they went on sale in (gulp) June? Or perhaps it’s just not in the budget this year?
If you’re still looking for ways to experience the magic of Polar Express in Champaign-Urbana, don’t worry. There are plenty of other ways to enjoy the movie’s magic in the Champaign-Urbana area this holiday season, in ways that won’t break your budget.
|Champaign-Urbana Area Holiday Events and Activities | Holiday Bucket List | Christmas Parades Around Champaign-Urbana and Beyond | Phone Calls and Letters from Santa | Meals with Santa | Pet Photos with Santa | Where to Find Santa | Christmas Tree Farms Near Champaign-Urbana | Live Nativity Displays
1. See the Polar Express on the big screen. We know that this year, the Polar Express will be shown at the Savoy 16 on Sunday, Nov. 17 and Wednesday, Nov. 20, with a matinee and evening showing each day. Regular ticket prices apply.
2. Lunch with Santa on the Train.It’s not the Polar Express experience, but the next best thing – some tickets still remain (at this writing) for lunch with Santa on the Train in Monticello on Dec. 8 and 9. There’s a train ride, a visit with Santa, and even a sack lunch. At $15 per person, a bargain (but don’t expect a fancy lunch!).
3. Take a road trip to board a Polar Express train (kind of) near you. OK, so it’s a lot further away, but there are still a few tickets to be had (last we checked) at the Polar Express experience in Chicago that leaves from Union Station. You can even take the train there from Champaign-Urbana. If you’re willing to go after Christmas, plenty of seats available.
4. Go to a special Polar Express storytime. The Barnes and Noble special Storytime Pajama Party is an annual favorite. 2019’s date will be Friday, December 6 at 7pm, and features a reading of The Polar Express and fun, holiday-themed activities for children and families to enjoy. Don’t forget to wear your pajamas!
5. Throw your own Polar Express party at home. Check out the movie and/or book from the library, or buy them (if you have Amazon Prime, the DVD was on available as low as $7.79* when we last checked). The Polar Express website has its own printable party kit, and there are also plenty of ideas on Pinterest.
Did we miss a Polar Express-themed event in Champaign-Urbana? Let us know or add it to our calendar.
Want to know all things holiday in Champaign-Urbana? Sign up for our Ho Ho Holidays email newsletter every day from December 1-24. Click to sign up today.
Jump Directly to Champaign-Urbana Holiday Info: