It’s Veterans Day in Champaign-Urbana. Do you have kids out of school, daycare or preschool? Looking for something to do with them in the Champaign-Urbana area on Veterans Day? There are plenty of options for family fun, and many are low-cost or even free. Of course, be sure what is open and closed before you go out.
- Visit one of the many locations where you can pay homage to Veterans around Champaign-Urbana. We do have a few remembrances on our events calendar as well, including a daytime Veterans Day parade in Tuscola.
- With the warm weather we’ve had this year, the fall colors were delayed. Many places are still blazing with color. Visit some of our favorite places to see beautiful foliage.
- Visit a free museum space. Spurlock Museum, Museum of the Grand Prairie, and Anita Purves Nature Center are all open – and free.
Not free, but cheap:
- Root on the Illini women’s basketball team. This young group of ballers kicks off the regular season on Friday with an 11 a.m. tipoff at State Farm Center against the Marshall Thundering Herd. Tickets are $6 for general admission and parking is free. Friday marks Military Appreciation Day. Illinois will hand out free camouflage t-shirts, and admission is free for all military personnel with identification.
- Go ice skating at the Ice Arena. Lunchtime skate is scheduled from 11:15 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Regular admission fees apply and skate rentals too.