Advent calendar day is an event for devoted Aldi shoppers
This year boasts the biggest collection of calendars ever — more than two dozen
Have you ever heard about the frenzy at Aldi the day it releases holiday Advent calendars?
Well, we can confirm this is a thing and that it happens in Champaign-Urbana. In recent years, we know the wine calendar was completely sold out at all three Aldi stores in the area (Champaign, Urbana and Savoy) less than 60 minutes after opening.
What you need to know
Aldi has designated the first Wednesday in November as “National Advent Calendar Day.” That means that Advent calendar day will be Wednesday, Nov. 1.
What is an Advent calendar?
Advent calendars typically begin on Dec. 1 and mark the 24 days before Christmas. The tradition dates to the mid-19th century, but has evolved significantly — especially in recent years.
Where is Aldi located?
There are three Aldi stores in the Champaign-Urbana area. The stores in Urbana and Champaign are located, not by accident, right next to Walmart. The Savoy store is located off Dunlap Avenue, a few blocks south of Curtis Avenue.
What were the 2022 procedures for “National Advent Calendar Day”?
All three of the Aldi stores in Champaign-Urbana open at 9 a.m., so conventional wisdom says that those wanting calendars should be in line at 8 a.m. for their best chance to get one. Remember, limited quantities are available and they are first come, first serve.
One important thing to note for customers who are interested in purchasing an alcohol Advent calendar (this year, those include wine, beer, and hard seltzer) or a cheese calendar: they will receive a ticket at the store entrance in the order they arrive at the store. Ticketing begins one full hour before the store opens.
Last year, customers redeemed tickets for Advent calendars near the stock room entrance, NOT at the register where customers check out.
What am I going to get?
Aldi rolls out quite the selection of Advent calendars every year, and this year word on the internet is that we will have all of our usual Aldi favorites to choose from, and maybe some new ones. This year’s choices includes some of the following “calendars:”
- Advent calendars for kids: crafts, Lego, Cocomelon, Mini-Brands, slime, chocolate, and more
- Advent calendars for pets: dog treats and cat treats
- coffee, cheese and assorted traditional chocolate
- offerings like hot sauce, candles and puzzles
- and of course, the grown-up Advent calendars like wine (including sparkling), beer and hard seltzer
Limits on calendar purchase
According to Aldi.com, stores can choose to limit purchase quantities of certain calendars.
Most Aldi stores only receive one shipment of this year’s calendars, and quantities are limited — so if you see it on the shelf, pick it up, as there probably aren’t any left in the back.
How much do they cost?
Aldi Advent calendars range in price from $1.49 (a traditional chocolate calendar) up to $59.99 for the wine calendar (2022 price). Most calendars are in the $9.99-$14.99 range, with the boozy calendars being the most expensive. Prices aren’t listed on the Aldi website this year, because they vary so much by region.
Everything Holiday Season In and Around Champaign-Urbana
- How to Have a Family-Friendly New Year’s Eve in Champaign-Urbana
- 5 Things to Do on Christmas Day in Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Eat on Christmas in Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Order Holiday Meals and Treats in Champaign-Urbana
- A Beloved University of Illinois Tradition Sings On: Dial-A-Carol Goes Live Dec. 7
- Amazing Christmas Lights Around Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- What You Need to Know About Chanukah
- Chanukah in Champaign-Urbana: What, When and Where to Shop
- 10+ Reasons to Visit Chicago During the Holiday Season
- Champaign-Urbana Holiday Bucket List: 35 Things To Do Before Christmas
- 10+ Things to Do in Indianapolis for a Holiday Getaway
- Holiday Giving and Volunteering in Champaign-Urbana
- All Aboard: Polar Express Fun (Beyond the Train) in Champaign-Urbana
- Live Nativity Displays in Champaign-Urbana
- Zoo Lights: Where to Drive From Champaign-Urbana
- 50+ Experience Gift Ideas for Kids in Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Buy a Live Christmas Tree Near Champaign-Urbana
- 8 Great Places to See Holiday Lights in Central Illinois
- Where to Find Santa Claus in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Home for the Holidays: Shopping and Eating in Champaign-Urbana
- Holiday Season Parades in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Champaign-Urbana Area Holiday Events and Activities
- Champaign-Urbana Area Christmas Shows, Concerts, Performances and More