Celebrate mom this year with some special ideas on Mother’s Day
Whether you want to take her out or spoil her at home, there are numerous ways to celebrate the moms in your life in Champaign-Urbana
The Mother’s Day options seem limitless, especially if the weather is nice on May 8. But some options are better than others, and Chambanamoms endeavors to serve up a few ideas of Mother’s Day activities to help mom feel appreciated on her dedicated day, as well as providing fun for other members of the family. A common theme? Mom doesn’t want to cook on Mother’s Day!
A few tips for celebrating moms this Mother’s Day
- Plan the day so she doesn’t have to. Offer to pick up the donuts, take the kids to pick up the food and coordinate plans with extended family members. This is mom’s special day and making plans is hard work.
- Take care of the food. Mom doesn’t want to cook on Mother’s Day, we can almost guarantee this. You don’t have to order in three meals for your whole family including kids all day long. But it’s a nice gesture to get her a sandwich from the kitchen if she’s hungry and think of other “acts of service” that would be a treat for her today.
- Fix the thing that mom has been wanting to get fixed for a long time. If she has asked for weeks to have someone rake the garden so she can plant flowers, then by all means go rake the garden. Don’t put it off any longer. It’s simple but meaningful.
- Listen to what mom says she would like to do this weekend. Her idea of a perfect Mother’s Day might be much simpler than what you’re already planning and a day “off” from putting kids down for naps and chasing them around playgrounds may be all she desires.
Now on to some ideas of things to do
- Visit the Monticello Railway. If mom has never been, this is a good time to take her for a ride on a vintage train. (Moms ride free with a paid fare.) Note: this is a great option if grandma is along, because grandparents love train rides, too!
- Take mom to brunch, though you need to hurry to make a reservation. This is a Mother’s Day favorite when it comes to planning options.
- Take mom to Allerton Park in Monticello. The gardens are beautiful at Mother’s Day and the Greenhouse Cafe is open once again, if you’d like to have a picnic while you’re there. You can pack a picnic and venture anywhere in Champaign-Urbana.
- Get out and revel in some of the best places to enjoy nature near Champaign-Urbana. Unplug, unwind and enjoy the great outdoors with your family.
- Send mom to a plant sale, with some fun money to spend. Flowers are beautiful and mom may not want to splurge on getting some this year for whatever reason. Encourage her to go AND send her with some cash to spend on flowers while she’s there. We know she will find some beautiful ones that your whole family can enjoy all spring long.