Grab those old car seats and boosters — it’s a great time to recycle them at Target’s car seat trade-in event
Bring an old car seat or booster to Target and get a coupon to save on a new car seat, stroller and more
Target’s car seat recycling event happens twice a year, generally in April (with an Earth Day tie-in) and in September. Bring in your old carseats — no matter the size or condition — and get a chance to save on something new, too.
But don’t wait – the fall car seat trade-in event ends on Sept. 25.
This is a much needed service, especially in the Champaign-Urbana area, where there is no consistent option to recycle car seats.
Target will accept and recycle all types of car seats, including infant seats, convertible seats, car seat bases, harness or booster car seats and even car seats that are expired or damaged. All seats are recycled, NOT reused.
This popular car seat trade-in and recycling program is a nationwide event; participating Targets include the one in Champaign at 2102 N. Prospect Ave. as well as the Target on Mound Street in Decatur. (Remember there are now TWO Targets in Champaign — the Campustown location is NOT participating. That’s hardly surprising, but we did call to make sure.)
Those who bring a trade-in will receive a coupon for 20 percent off one new car seat, stroller or select baby gear item. Be sure to read below about how Target will be distributing the coupons. You need to make sure you have the Target Circle mobile app. (Side note: Target has a great app, which we have gotten to know very well in the past 18 months.)
Here’s what you need to know about Target Car Seat Trade-In Program
For those who want the coupon, make sure to download the Target app on your phone. Customers must be enrolled in Target Circle to participate in the trade-in and receive a coupon.
Have two car seats? You can redeem this offer twice per Circle account. Coupons can be applied to both in-store and online purchases and are eligible for use only through October 2.
This is how the program worked most recently
- Step 1: Bring an old car seat or base to a nearby Target and drop it in the designated box inside the store.
- Step 2: Open the Target App to scan the code on the box. Talk to a Team Member in Guest Services if you need help.
- Step 3: Open the Wallet in the Target App and view “Extra offers” to find the coupon.
- Step 4: Click the green checkmark next to the offer and place your order online, or scan your barcode at the register.
The old car seats will go to Waste Management. According to Target, Waste Management will recycle the parts to create things like grocery carts, plastic buckets and construction materials.
Target introduced its first car seat trade-in program in April 2016. Thanks to these programs, since then Target has recycled more than 22 million pounds of materials and 1.4 million seats, according to its website.
More info on recycling
- Registration for the countywide Electronics Recycling Event in October is now open. Sign up for a slot HERE.
- For more information regarding where to recycle — just about anything — in Champaign-Urbana, please visit our Champaign-Urbana recycling guide.
- Want to know where to donate your gently used stuff in Champaign-Urbana? Check out that article here.