Harvest Moon Drive-In Theatre in Gibson City announces it will open for the 2020 season on Friday, May 8
Editor’s Note: During COVID-19, information is changing often and being released frequently. We will update this post as Harvest Moon releases more detailed info on what to expect on visiting the drive-in in 2020.
This is the moment we’ve been waiting for! Drive-in movies are a timeless American classic and are a fantastic fit for family fun any year. But with the new practice of social distancing in place, having a place to visit without even needing to leave your car is an even more appealing concept than in many years prior. Enter, a visit to the closest drive-in theatre to Champaign-Urbana, Harvest Moon!
At 6pm on May 4, Harvest Moon went live on their Facebook page with some additional details on what people can expect when visiting the drive-in. Key highlights include:
- Vehicles will be spread out further than normal this year. There will be about 10 feet of distance between your vehicle and the nearest vehicle.
- People must stay in their vehicles facing forward towards the screen. This means you may not sit in truck beds at this time, or sit outside of your vehicle.
- It’s important that no food be exchanged between vehicles. Please enter the drive-in in your family’s vehicle and stay with your family unit during the evening.
- You will be required to have a mask on if you’re outside of your vehicle, such as picking up food or visiting the restroom.
- Pets must stay within the car for the entire duration of the movie if they come to the drive-in; the dog runs will not be available.
- Food service/ordering will be open as normal but there will be some changes to fit the current guidelines set forth.
On the morning of May 4, Harvest Moon posted this update on its Facebook page:
Admission: Adults (12 & up): $8. Kids (4-11): $7. Kids under 4: free
Only cash is accepted at the Box Office. There is a $5 food permit (per car) to bring in outside food or drink.
How to get there:
Harvest Moon Twin Drive-In Theatre: 1175 S. Sangamon Ave., Gibson City (Rt. 47 South). Movie Line: (217) 784-8770. Office: (815) 268-4000.
Open seven nights a week during the summer (Friday-Thursday). Movies are shown rain or shine.
Gates open: 6:30 p.m. (Friday and Saturday); 7:30 p.m. (Sunday-Thursday); Showtime: 8:40 p.m.