Champaign-Urbana Area Grocery Roundup: Where to Shop Local, Reduced Hours, Delivery and Shopping Tips
Even in this era of social distancing and staying in as much as possible, we all need to eat.
In this article, we have several goals:
- to get out current information about where and when to shop in Champaign-Urbana and beyond, with a special focus on locally owned stores
- to identify special grocery shopping hours for at-risk populations
- to update store hours for as many stores as possible.
- to locate delivery or curbside pickup options when possible.
See something that needs to be updated? Help us keep this list current by contacting us: email@example.com.
GROCERY SHOPPING FOR AT-RISK CUSTOMERS, UPDATED HOURS, NEW SHOPPING POLICIES, WHERE TO SHOP LOCAL:
Looking for info on Champaign-Urbana area grocery delivery or curbside pickup options? Find that by clicking here. However, we are hearing from readers that many stores are indicating that due to high volume of requests, curbside pickup (using apps and online tools) is taking longer than usual. Delivery may be available through Instacart and Shipt.
It’s more critical than ever to shop and support local businesses, and there are plenty of places to shop local for groceries – produce, meats, and non-perishables. Some of these are speciality stores or ethnic – others are more general. We have included links to Facebook pages as that is (most often) where up-to-date info is being posted. For those we have info, we included hours and more.
- Aldi, all locations (Champaign, Urbana, Savoy)
Daily Hours: 9 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Vulnerable Shopper Hours: Tues and Thurs, 9 a.m. – 10 a.m.
Find more updates on Aldi here.
Delivery available: Via Instacart
- Art Mart, Champaign:
Daily Hours: 7:30 a.m. – 6 p.m. Mon – Sat; 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. Sun
Why shop local? Prepared deli options, fine cheeses, groceries, wine, beer, salads, sandwiches, bread, whole bean coffee and other kitchen essentials. Curbside pick up is available by calling 217-344-7979.
Delivery available: For orders $25 and up, free local delivery
- Common Ground Food Co-op, Urbana
Daily Hours: 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Special Shopping Hours: 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. daily
Why shop local? The Co-Op has a great selection of produce in addition to non-perishable items, and meats, dairy, frozen goods, and home goods. Phone ordering with same-day curbside pickup is available on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays for those who do not wish to shop in person. The Co-op remains open on phone ordering days. Read more about calling in your order with curbside pickup!
- Costco, Champaign
Daily Hours: 10 a.m. – 8:30 p.m. Mon through Fri; 9:30 a.m. – 6 p.m. Sat; 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Sun
New to Champaign-Urbana in October 2020, Costco has been met with open arms in the community. Learn all about the different membership options here and read our tips on nine things to know before you shop at Costco for the first time.
Delivery available: Available through Instacart.
- County Market, Champaign locations (Monticello and Gibson City may have different info)
Daily Hours: 6 a.m. – 11 p.m.
Special Shopping Hours: 6 a.m. – 8 a.m. daily
“We want to provide at-risk and senior customers with the ability to shop at the beginning of each day from 6am to 8am to help them avoid busier and more crowded shopping periods.” FAQ: The CDC defines elderly as 60, but we are leaving it up to you to decide. At-risk includes not just elderly, but compromised immunity and other at-risk situations. If you need assistance or have a driver, they may enter the store with you.”
Delivery available: Now available via Rosie.
- Dollar General, Champaign, Urbana, Rantoul locations
Daily Hours: 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. (or 10 p.m.?) daily
Special Shopping Hours: Strongly encouraging that the first hour of operations each day, 8 am – 9 am, be dedicated to at-risk customers.
“In keeping with the Company’s mission of Serving Others, Dollar General wants to provide these at-risk customers with the ability to purchase the items they need and want at the beginning of each day to avoid busier and more crowded shopping periods.”
- Harvest Market, Champaign
Tip: Harvest Market has been one of the better stocked stores we have seen, especially for meat.
Daily Hours: 6 a.m. – 10 p.m. (deli hours 6 a.m. – 7 p.m.)
Special Shopping Hours: 6 a.m. – 8 a.m. “Shopping will be set aside for the elderly and disabled shoppers.”
- Meijer, Champaign and Urbana locations
Daily Hours: 6 a.m. – midnight
Special Shopping Hours: Senior citizens and other shoppers with chronic health conditions, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6 a.m. – 8 a.m. Essential service workers and Meijer team members, Mondays and Wednesdays from 6 am – 8 am.
Delivery: Available via Shipt. Curbside pickup also available.
Old Time Meat and Deli, Champaign (Neil Street)
Why Shop local?: Meats have been flying off shelves in most stores. Old Time Meat and Deli has been posting online that it is well-stocked with most items; it sells beef, chicken, pork, fish and deli meats.
Daily Hours: Open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mon – Sat, closed Sunday.
Special Shopping Hours: Open 9 a.m. – 10 a.m. Mon – Sat for senior citizens and customers with chronic health issues. ALSO: You can call in your order and they can take payment over the phone and bring it to your car.
- Ruler Foods, Champaign and Urbana
Daily Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., until further notice
- Salt & Light, Urbana
Tip: we’ve heard that Salt & Light is well stocked and a best kept secret.
Why Shop local?: Many people don’t realize this is a grocery store! Produce, frozen goods, and more. Profits stay local and help those in need.
Updated Hours: Mon – Sat, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.; Sunday 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Special Shopping Hours: “8 a.m. – 10 a.m. Mon – Sat reserved for senior citizens and at-risk individuals.”
- Sam’s Club, Champaign
Hours: 9 a.m.-8 p.m., Monday through Saturday, Sunday 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Special Shopping Hours: Early shopping hours every Tuesday and Thursday from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. for seniors and those with disabilities or compromised immune systems. During special shopping hours, these members can shop Sam’s Club without ever leaving their car. From a designated parking location, members in need can place their order from their car. Then, a Sam’s Club associate will grab the items on the list, and the member will use Scan & Go to check out.
Delivery: Via Instacart
- Schnucks (Champaign, Urbana, Savoy, Mahomet locations):
Daily Hours: 6 a.m.-1o p.m.
Special Shopping Hours: 6-7 a.m. – Reserved for shopping by seniors aged 60 and above, and for those who are most at risk of COVID-19.
Delivery: Via Instacart
- Strawberry Fields Natural Food Store and World Harvest, Urbana:
Daily Hours: 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Why shop local? All items at Strawberry Fields Cafe will remain available, but only for carry out and delivery. Curbside pickup is available. They stock natural and organic groceries, frozen and refrigerated, fresh baked bread & pastries, made fresh daily salads and sandwiches gourmet coffee & teas, local and organic produce, vitamins and supplements, and products for home and body.
- St. Joseph IGA
Updated Hours: Regular hours now 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily.
Special Shopping Hours: Hours for at-risk and older adult population are 6-8 am daily.
- Target, Champaign
Daily Hours: 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Special Shopping Hours: 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. on Wednesdays. “We’ll reserve the first hour of shopping each Wednesday to support vulnerable guests, including the elderly and those with underlying health concerns.”
Delivery: Via Shipt
- Walgreens, all locations
Daily Hours: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Special Shopping Hours: Every Tuesday is now Seniors Day with all -day discounts and seniors only shopping from 8 – 9 a.m. Senior hours are available to senior citizen customers and patients age 55 and over every Tuesday from 8:00 am to 9:00 am, for a limited time period until further notice by Walgreens.
- WalMart, all locations (Savoy, Urbana, Champaign, Rantoul):
Starting March 24 through April 28, for one hour on Tuesday mornings between 6-7 a.m.
Daily Hours: 7 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. local time. (StartedMarch 18)
Delivery: Yes, Available
More local options
- AMKO Oriental Foods and Gifts, Champaign: Large Asian grocery store, also offering grocery delivery.
- Annapoorna, Champaign: Local Indian grocery store.
- Far East on Fifth Street, Champaign: An Asian grocery store with plenty of fresh produce. Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Indonesian foods and more. Reader comment: “They’re incredibly friendly and have amazing food at great prices.” LIMITED to 10 shoppers at a time.
- El Charro, Champaign: Mexican grocery store, including ready-to-eat foods available.
- El Progreso Tienda y Carniceria, Urbana: Mexican food store and delights with fresh meats, cheeses, beans, chiles and more. Has been posting video updates on Facebook with its product availability in both Spanish and English.
- Cheese and Crackers, Champaign (Old Farm Shops): Deli sandwiches for take-out, cheese, salami and other meats, fresh fish delivered three times a week (email firstname.lastname@example.org for information), craft sodas, wine, and dry goods. Open 11am – 6pm Tuesday – Saturday and some hours on Sunday; will accommodate at-risk customers. Curb-side service available. http://www.
crackercheese.com, or call 615-615-8531.
- Direct from the Farm: Looking for fresh eggs, meat, or veggies? Many farms are in operation, offering pick or delivery for orders placed directly through the farm. Follow the link to the Market’s map to find contact info for your favorite Market at the Square vendors. maps.managemymarket.com/3755
- Green Onion Asian Market, Champaign: Korean Grocery Store
- Prairie Fruits Farm: Get goat cheese, crackers and more. www.prairiefruits.com/shop
- Central Illinois Produce/Bakehouse
Central Illinois Produce/Bakehouse will be offering periodic drive-up pick-up service for fresh produce, dairy, and baked goods. Produce and dairy will be available at WHOLESALE COST. Pick-up available at the URBANA WAREHOUSE only. Orders can be placed via email email@example.com. Find all the information including the menu at the Central Illinois Bakehouse Facebook page.
- Market Wagon Home Delivery
Market Wagon aims to bring a farmers market right to your doorstep. Working with local farms, food artisans, restaurants, catering companies and more, Market Wagon makes a one-stop shop that changes offerings from week to week, making it super simple for customers to shop local without going to lots of different places. Use our chambanamoms referral link to place your first order and save $20 off your order of $40 or more!
Champaign-Urbana Grocery Store Round-Up | Where to Find Cloth Masks and Materials In and Around Champaign-Urbana | 9 How-To Tips on Running Essential Errands Around Champaign-Urbana | Where to Find Locally Raised Meat in Champaign-Urbana | Champaign-Urbana Farmers Markets Set Guidelines | Where to Get Family Style Takeout in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond