Get your swim on all year long at the Urbana Indoor Aquatic Center
Champaign-Urbana families can drop in to the remarkable facility to splish splash their way through any kind of season or weather
The Urbana Indoor Aquatic Center (UIAC) is known as Champaign-Urbana’s public year-round swimming option. While memberships are available, you can also pay for a day pass or purchase a punch card, so it’s very accessible to people who may just visit one or two times a year. And whether it’s rainy or cold or sweltering hot, an indoor aquatic center complete with water slides and a toddler-friendly zero-depth entry sounds pretty appealing.
Let’s cover all you need to know before planning a trip to the Urbana Indoor Aquatic Center.
Tips For Your Trip From Other Parents
- To answer the top question for families with older kids, the big slides are for anyone 48 inches and up.
- Everyone has to take their shoes off in the lobby. This includes you if you’re walking into a locker room to help a child change. Bring locker room flip flops if this is something you want to do.
- Decide ahead of time if you’re purchasing spectator passes and skipping swimming or if you’re going all in, literally, and getting in the pool to play. Same with punch cards. Especially if there are five or more people in your group, a punch card may be the way to go.
- Check the website if you’re going on a weekend (or really any time). Swim meets and other things throughout the year can affect hours. There’s nothing worse than promising kids a mid-winter splash in the pool and then having to break the news it’s not happening.
- Bring friends (if you’re up for it). Big kids will love having someone to go down slides with and the zero-entry area is awesome for littles. In our experience, having playdates with other parents at the pool is challenging due to all the safety factors, but it’s relatively easy to meet up with someone at UIAC and maybe even have somewhat of a conversation, too.
- The UIAC is open for School’s Out Swim events on many days off school. A great out-of-school day, in our opinion!
Is this pool good for toddlers?
Yes! We think it is. There’s a fun little kiddie slide they’ll enjoy, the zero-depth entry is great for splashing in the many water features and lifeguard supervision is great. Keep an eye out for toddler swim times, held at the UIAC at different times throughout the year when toddlers (and their caretakers) take over the facility. Reading the Urbana Park District program guide (and checking the chambanamoms event calendar) are the best ways to find out when these special swims are held.
What amenities are offered?
The Urbana Indoor Aquatic Center offers many amenities, including:
- Trained lifeguards
- Restrooms/locker rooms/changing areas, including a number of family changing rooms to accommodate your family’s needs
- Zero depth entry with spray features and toddler slide
- Two large waterslides (only for those 48 inches and taller); one of the waterslides ends in deep water, so strong swimming skills are required for that one
- Competition pool for lap swimmers and diving board/deep water area
- Bleachers, benches and a second floor viewing area, perfect for any type of spectator based on what you’re comfortable with (if you’re not swimming, that is)
- Party room
Can I have a party or rent the facility?
Yes. The Urbana Indoor Aquatic Center makes a great place to have a party. Contact them directly if you’re interested.
Do they offer swimming lessons?
Yes. Just check the program guide or website for details on when the next session begins.