Editor’s note: Willard Airport is a sponsor of Chambanamoms.
With school out for summer families with children might be “taking off” on vacation.
“Flying with children can be exhausting and stressful,” said Ashley Hipsher, assistant director of marketing and communications for University of Illinois-Willard Airport. “These are just some easy things to keep in mind when you are preparing for a flight with children.”
Here are seven tips for flying with children this summer!
1. Review airline rules and regulations. Every airline is different in the way it regulates and charges for infant seats, strollers, and fare. Make sure you do your research before you get to the airport.
2. Entertainment is necessary. Whether you bring a tablet, coloring book, or action figures, small toys that are easy to take through security will make your flight fly by.
3. Arrive early. Traveling with children will always take more time than traveling alone, considering extra bathroom breaks or mild meltdowns. Be prepared and arrive for your flight just a little early. When you’re flying out of Willard you can track your flight on the Willard Airport website!
4. Prepare for ear aches. Bring some suckers or a drink to try to alleviate some of the pressure on their ears.
5. Stock up on necessary supplies. Keep hand sanitizer, wipes, and extra clothes close by at all times. But don’t over pack. Remember, you have to carry it all through the airport! You can follow the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) 3-1-1 rule which says liquids, gels, creams, and aerosols are limited to 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) or less per item.
6. Bring snacks. You have probably heard, “I’m hungry!” before, so make sure you pack snacks for your trip. Bring an empty water bottle or sippy cup to fill with water once you pass through security.
7. Prepare for security. This can be scary to some children (and adults) so show them a video or tell them what will happen when they arrive at security. As parents, read up on the TSA rules and regulations.
With short lines, easy parking, and close-to-home convenience, Willard Airport makes it easy to get you and your family to your summer destination.