By Kristy Wilson
Head just 40 minutes northwest of Champaign-Urbana to Gibson City and find several unique businesses and events that are worth the trek!
1. PLAY: If you were to ask a small sample of people “what is something that you know about Gibson City?” a likely answer would be “that’s where the drive-in movie theatre is!” Yes, Harvest Moon twin drive-in is located just on the outskirts of town and with its reasonably priced admission ($7 for adults 12 and older, $6 for children ages 4-11 and children under 4 are FREE!) it is worth the short drive to have this unique movie-going experience. This is one of the few places that you can take young kids to a movie and it wouldn’t be totally frowned upon if they can’t sit still and need to get up and run a bit. While they have currently closed for the season, check out our mom review from a few years ago to see if this might be a good fit for your family’s 2018 summer bucket list.
2. CELEBRATE: Get in the holiday spirit with a visit with Santa, a parade and browsing holiday crafts and gifts. Each year Gibson City holds a “Parade of Presents” and this year it is taking place on Saturday, Nov. 18, with events starting at 4 p.m. Also, mark your calendar for the4th Annual Harvest Fest. This event will be taking place on Sept. 7-8, 2018, with bands, craft and trade vendors, food vendors, a tractor pull and more.
3. EAT: If you’re wanting something a little different than the Italian, Thai, Mexican, pub, or steak house restaurants that Champaign-Urbana offers, you might consider heading to Gibson City. Here you’ll find Bayern Stube, a traditional Bavarian restaurant with a menu full of schnitzels and strudels. The term Bayern Stube means “Bavarian living room.” With it’s 4.7 out of 5-star rating this restaurant is worth a short trip and a potentially new cultural experience for your kiddos. (We’re also fans of Burgers and Beer, which has an amazing variety of excellent burgers.)
4. SWEET TREAT: This business is sure to meet your sweet tooth cravings. “Black and White Confections” has been open since 2009 and has been making tasty treats not only for humans, but also for our K-9 companions. Their sweet treats can be found from coffee houses in Monticello to the Gibson Area Hospital Gift Shop. Said to have some of the best caramel around, I cannot wait to try out this place for myself!
5. PHOTO READY: Tired of using the same photo backdrop for your family portraits? Consider making the drive to Gibson City. The quaint downtown area would offer some unique backdrops that just aren’t available in a larger town like Champaign-Urbana. In addition, you don’t even have to go as far as the town center to find scenic natural landscapes of the Sangamon River. While this is not an everyday “to do” with your kids you might consider it for your next family photo session and include some time to make a stop at Bayern Stube and Black and White Confections.