Sorry, Game of Thrones fans: Kit Harrington won’t be appearing in Champaign-Urbana on Sept. 23-24.
Neither will Larry Bird.
The truth is that their animal namesakes will be in town. Yes, animals.
Harrington (the kit skunk), White Stripes (the baby zebra), and other “animal” celebrities will be in town to draw attention to local non-profit animal rescue and welfare groups at the 27 Annual Pet Fair Extravaganza sponsored by Prairieland Feeds in Savoy.
When billboards appeared around town last week, speculation about them reached a fever pitch on social medial. Smile Politely wrote a story, and WCIA Channel 3 did a short piece as well. But no one cracked the code.
As it turns out, the billboards were part of a brilliant viral marketing campaign by Prairieland Feeds to promote its annual animal-centric event that promotes animal welfare and local rescue organizations.
“The purpose of the 27th Annual Pet Fair Extravaganza … is to provide non-for-profit animal rescue organizations and animal welfare groups an opportunity to educate the public about the work they do on behalf of animals in our community,” Prairieland Feeds wrote in a news release sent to chambanamoms.com today. “It is also designed to give people the opportunity to develop a better understanding and respect for the animals with whom we share our planet.
Our hope is that future generations will continue to work to stop animal abuse and neglect, as well as protect the habitats of animals across the globe.”
The annual Pet Fair Extravaganza is a chambanamoms.com favorite. The event is FREE and open to the public. Prairieland Feeds is located on Route 45 in Savoy, just south of Old Church Street. Parking is available around the store as well in other lots located nearby.
Come to the event and your family can:
- Ride a Horse or Pony and your donation will support Crosswinds Equine Rescue.
- Talk to a Macaw (Larry Bird) or Parrot and support Wings of Wonder Avian Rescue
- Meet rescued greyhounds and other animals from a variety of non-for profit animal rescue, therapy, and support groups
- Pet reptiles such as a snakes and a baby croc (Adele) from Scovill Zoo (Sunday only) and learn about these amazing animals.
- See a kit skunk (Harrington) and other animals we share our prairie with from the Wildlife Prairie Park (Saturday only).
“We hope everyone will come out to build some memories and show their support for our animal ‘celebrities” and the volunteers who represent the worthwhile organizations that help them,” said Prairieland Feeds owners Garry and Lisa Herzog in the release.