Editor’s note: Common Ground Food Co-operative is a sponsor of Chamabanamoms.com.
The Common Ground Co-op has been a community-owned food co-op since 1974, but even for a longtime C-U resident there may be a few things you didn’t know about shopping at the co-op and enjoying all of its benefits. Here are 10 things to know about shopping at the co-op, located at 300 S. Broadway Ave., Suite 166, Urbana:
2. We offer 3-4 classes a week on everything from Eating Healthy on a Budget to an Intro to Food Photography. Our classroom also doubles as a community art gallery!
3. Once a month we have toddler time for parents and their children in the classroom. We read books, have a healthy snack, and parents get a free coffee from our deli!
4. We give money back to the community. Last year we donated $56,263 to local organizations. And every dollar you spend at the co-op generates about $1.60 in the local economy!
5. Have kids? They can get a free apple or banana every time they come to the store as part of our Co-op Explorers program. And don’t forget to sign up for free birthday cookies!
6. We have more than 100 Basic Items in the store that are always at competitively low prices — from organic cereal to baby formula and household supplies. Our prices are just as cheap as our neighbors.
7. Want to try a new recipe but don’t feel like splurging on all the ingredients? Use our bulk bin department to buy just what you need, save money, and avoid food waste.
8. We have a flourishing wine and beer department carrying many local and organic brews. Make sure to stop by and get free samples every Friday evening from 4:30-6:30 p.m.!
9. Looking to go all natural with your beauty routine? Our wellness department carries amazing supplements and body care products with plenty of paraben-free and organic options.
10. Don’t want to cook in this summer heat? We have a fantastic grab-n-go section for fast, easy, and healthy meals. Grab a blueberry mint tea from our deli and a veggie quiche made with local eggs this weekend!