The Urbana Park District’s free annual bluegrass musical event—Strawberry Jam—features local musicians and a picnic atmosphere, hayrack rides, a guided prairie hike and strawberries over vanilla ice cream while supplies last. The grassy meadow adjacent to the Meadowbrook Interpretive Center is the perfect spot for this free concert with an old-fashioned flavor.
This year Strawberry Jam falls on National Flag Day, Saturday, June 14. You are invited to make and fly a family flag during the event in Meadowbrook Park.
“We’re excited that Strawberry Jam falls on Flag Day this year. We thought it would be wonderful to invite people to create and display their own flags at the event in celebration of their families and our community,” said environmental public program coordinator Savannah Donovan.
“This is a great activity for multiple generations to do together,” she added. “You can have grandparents, parents and children all add something special to the flag.”
How to Participate:
- Make your own family flag at home before the event according to the guidelines that follow. Check out the Anita Purves Nature Center’s Pinterest Page for ideas: http://www.pinterest.com/updapnc/family-flags/
- Bring your flag to the check-in station outside the Meadowbrook Interpretive Center any time from 4:00-7:00 p.m. Event volunteers will hang your flag for everyone to see.
- If you want to take your flag home with you, pick-up your flag at the station no later than 8:30 p.m. The UPD will not be responsible for returning unclaimed flags.
Flag Creation Guidelines:
- Flags must be no larger than 11”x17” and no smaller than 8 ½” x 11”.
- Card stock is the preferred material to use for your flag. Flags must be lightweight enough to be hung by clothespins, but not so light that they will blow away!
- Don’t forget to show your family name on the front of your flag.
- Creative use of materials is encouraged—what materials can you repurpose from around the house?
Be sure to bring a picnic dinner and lawn chairs or a blanket. Parking is available at the Race Street lot. Overflow parking is available at the corner of Windsor Road and Race Street at Stone Creek Church.
Strawberry Jam Musical performance times:
4:00-5:00 p.m., The Young and the Fretless
5:30-6:30 p.m., Big Bluestem
7:00 p.m.-Sunset, The Prairie Dogs
Other family fun includes:
- Hayrack rides that begin and end near the organic gardens and take a loop through the park, ongoing from 4:00-8:00 p.m.
- A guided tour of the prairie with Urbana Park District staff at 5:00 p.m.
- Ongoing activities at exhibitor tables
Strawberry Jam is made possible with support from Busey and from Health Alliance. Visit Health Alliance’s table at the event, as well as the Grand Prairie Friends, the Champaign County Audubon Society and the C-U Herb Society.