Are you curious to learn more about the newest recreation center in Champaign-Urbana? Ready to have a new indoor play option for your kiddos? (After this winter, aren’t we all?)
Enter the new Leonhard Recreation Center, the newest indoor facility to join the Champaign Park District family. Scheduled to open in May — with a grand opening celebration on May 3 — it won’t take long for this long-awaited addition to the local recreation landscape to fill with hustle and bustle.
We were very lucky to have a tour of the brand new facility, located at the corner of Sangamon Drive and Kenwood Ave., in the northwest corner of Centennial Park. Here’s our key takeaways:
– Everyone wants to know about the indoor playground. This two-story facility is geared towards children 0 to 12 (and it will fit the big kids. I climbed up into it myself!). There are slides, obstacles, and other fun features. There is also an area for the toddlers to play that separates them from the bigger kids. The playroom will also include a “storybook stage”, perfect for dress-up and perhaps future storytime activities. Safety was a definite consideration, as there will be key fobs to get into and out of the room.
– Fees: Memberships are already on sale through the Champaign Park District. Membership includes access to the indoor walking track, the indoor playground, and weight room during all open hours. It also includes admission to all open gym during public hours, as well as a discount for public hours. Rates range from individual ($70 per year, for residents; $140 non-resident) to family of five ($180 per year for residents, $360 non-resident) and everything in between. There are also daily entry fees available; for instance, there is a day rate for the indoor playground ($5), which includes in-and-out privileges for an entire day.
– Workout facilities: There will be a cardio and weight room in the building, which will include treadmills, ellipticals, etc. There will also be a group fitness room (extra fees apply for group fitness). If that doesn’t interest you, take a walk on the beautiful three-lane indoor track.
– Gym: The gym is HUGE. There are two full-size basketball courts, four regulation volleyball courts, and even pickleball lines (evidently pickleball is the next BIG thing. I remember playing it in gym class in the 80s, but I digress).
– Birthday parties: The Champaign Park District is offering several birthday party packages at the new Leonhard Recreation Center with various themes, as well as a bare-bones basic party. The themes include Dora and Diego, Harry Potter, sports, and knight/princess party.
– Childcare, Locker Rooms, Etc.: Currently there is no childcare available to those working out in the building, but that may be developed at some point in the future, CPD leadership said. There are also no shower facilities in the building; there are lockers, however.
If you want to learn more about the facility, mark your calendar for the Grand Opening event on May 3 from 2 to 5 p.m. There will be tours of the facility, kids activities, and demonstrations of various programs. Also, giveaways while supplies last!
What: New Leonhard Recreation Center
Where: 2307 W. Sangamon Drive, Champaign
Facility Hours: (After May 3): Monday Through Friday, 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Saturday, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Sunday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.